Part Forty-Six: What Are You Gonna Do, Flik?

Timeline: 0836, Friday, 20th April :: Sheriff’s Private Office, Bamptonville

Donovan had recognised the number on the piece of paper he’d taken from Tod Mecklen’s desk and knew it belonged to Felix Gleitner’s cell phone. The paper was old and well used which meant Tod had lied to him. Donovan knew it now and that it meant he could never trust the man again with anything he said. It saddened him as well as making him angry, the more so because he had always trusted Tod. But now was not the time to go into it, not while Chuck Armstrong was waiting on the line to speak to him. He took several deep breaths, sat down behind his desk and picked up the phone.

“Chuck, Good Morning, Sorry to keep you waiting. What can I do for you?” He spoke with a brightness he was not feeling.

‘Morning Flik,…  I’m calling from home. … Terrible night I’ve been thinking about it all night.  …  Not sure how best to handle it and need to speak to you first, in case you’re doing anything about it officially … that’s before I investigate and take action when I get in to the College today … It has to be done today  …  don’t you agree?”

Donavan’s brow furrowed deeper. He had no idea what Armstrong was talking about.

“ You’ve got me at a loss here Chuck. Just what is it that’s eating you up. I can tell you’re upset.”

“The boy… the boy Jesse White and this Englishman ...Mitchell… you already know all about it.” 

“I do?”

Armstrong’s voice rose an octave in exasperation.

‘Yes…  of course you do. Wes Chandler called and told you about it last night. Don’t play games Flik, this is serious.” 

Donavan breathed through his teeth and pulled Mecklen’s paper closer towards him with his fingers. He swallowed before replying, hoping his voice did not show his irritation.

“That’s right, he did call the office. Suppose you tell me exactly what it was he told you, Chuck. Just so there are no misunderstandings.”

Chuck Armstrong gave a brief account of his conversation with Wes Chandler last night. He finished by saying.

“Chandler said you told him not to say anything to anybody and that you were handling it, that’s why I thought you were doing something and needed to talk to you before I have the boy in my office. I’ve had other reports from a staff member of talk in class about White fooling about  with this man and it must stop.”

"I agree Chuck, do you know if money’s involved at all. I mean, do you think the boy’s doing it for cash?”

"That’s a disgusting thought Flik, but the boy has lost his sponsor with the death of Colonel Stuart, who knows what he might be doing to make it up. He’s normally a well balanced and adjusted boy, well brought up, polite and hard working. He’s getting good enough grades to get to a decent College if he carries them through the senior year. Will you be taking action or can I go ahead and see the boy?”

Donovan drummed his fingers on his desk while he thought.

"Are you still there Flik?"

“I’m still here Chuck, just thinking to myself what’s the best way to go. How old is the boy?”

‘Seventeen, just turned, Is that important?”

“Kind of, they changed the age of consent for that sort of behaviour, but it’s a bit complicated. If he’s seventeen and doing it willingly and in private, he’s legal. But if coercion or money’s involved then that’s another matter and going with a man more'n twice his age might be problematic. I’ll have to talk to the judge.”