Chapter 102 (Echo) - Surprise for Wayne!

This chapter is dedicated to @letlifein, a cherished reader of The Cousins and its published version "The Stopover - a new Road"whose birthday it is today (7 May). Wishing you a Happy Birthday and an enjoyable read.

Chapter 102 (Echo)

Closing out Friday Night.

A/N: This chapter follows directly on from the first section of Chapter 100 (Alpha) when Wayne, Greg and Walt have walked back to the motel following Wayne's exposition of the background to the Fishers company plans subsequent to the IPO and the enormous potential for its products and research. The last paragraphs are repeated below to lead into this chapter:

"Huh, what was that," Greg stammered, "I missed it, my mind was miles away, ...I was sat on a chicken farm somewhere."

Wayne chuckled.

"You don't have to go too far from here to get yourself sat down on a chicken farm. I asked if you two were interested in coming inside to join me for a nightcap?"

Greg ached to have a few minutes alone with Wayne, but the man's insistence in keeping Walt beside him was a disincentive, besides he needed to get started on his preparations for tomorrow and tactfully declined the invitation.

"No thanks Wayne, nice idea, but I've got too much to get through tonight and I'd better get on with it. If you can give me that folder to work through, I'll take one of your rain checks on the nightcap and meet up with you again at breakfast."

Wayne brought out the thin, red paper folder, handing it to Greg, but faced Walt, chuckling as he spoke.

"Walt, you wouldn't leave a man to drink on his own on a night like tonight, would you now?"

"I'm not much of a drinking man Wayne, but if you are offering, I'll be happy to share your company fer a little longer."

The invitation and Wayne's virtual entreaty for Walt to join him surprised Greg and deflated him slightly. His 'thumbs down' on a nightcap had been accepted without demur. It seemed to him as if Wayne wanted a convivial one–to–one with the man. This was the second time tonight Wayne had shown more than a cursory interest in Fawley's ex-general manager.

'What game is it you are playing now Mr. Fisher?'

The red folder in his hand distracted Greg, rekindling his excitement and his wish to rush away to devour its content. Greg said his goodnights while hurrying along the decking towards his own room.

"Good night you two, sleep tight and I'll see you both in the morning for breakfast at Ma Tooleys."

                                                              * * *

"Come on in Walt. Make yourself comfortable, while I find us some glasses to drink out of."

Walt followed Wayne into the room, his mind buzzing with ideas and his body trembling with excitement. He sat on the sofa and ran parts of the evening's lecture through his head as Wayne disappeared into the kitchenette to fetch glasses. The substance and possibilities for Fishers had blown him away to the extent that he wanted to be a part of this sapling company that would surely grow into a great, corporate oak. 'The next Apple, only much bigger, and the world is ready for it, and needs it.' He instinctively liked and trusted Wayne and Greg, acknowledging their business acumen and desire to do good as they made profits. 'But where could I fit in to this? As far as I know they're not even planning on opening a working operation here that I could be a part of.' Walt's mind raced on, searching for possible niches, his eyes fixed on the opposite wall, but seeing only the internal images conjured by his brain as it ran through scenarios where he might fit into the Fishers' scheme. 'Manager – No they won't have anything here to manage. 'Salesman – Maybe, I do know the farmers around here.' His hand touched the memory stick in his pocket. 'Maybe working with Fishers on something for myself: gas bottle filling or bio-char agent.'