Chapter 102(F) - Part 4

This chapter is dedicated to @CarolinaC, who is a talented author writing across several genres here on Wattpad and is well worth checking out if you are looking for a good read!

Chapter 102 (Foxtrot) Part Four

Walt Spills the Beans

Wayne linked his fingers and stretched his arms in front of him, groaning loudly as he arched his back on the chair, stretching away the discomfort of sitting hunched over a computer for several hours.

The passage of time had escaped him as he trawled through the business records of Fawley Grain and Feed. He leafed through the pages of notes he had made emitting a low whistle of surprise.

"My oh my, it's like Walt says, this business is on its last legs. Without the prospect of the Lido contract this company is on a swift slide into oblivion. I wonder what Guenther Fritsch would make of this?"

He stood up rubbing the back of his neck and bending to each side several times before taking out his wallet from a back pocket and pulling out a business card. He turned it over to check the handwritten number on the back and looked at his watch.

"Four fifteen," he muttered, "Where did the night go? Now what time will it be in Germany? They are seven hours ahead of us, ...that makes it eleven fifteen local time on Saturday morning in Hanover. There's just time to make a call before they start their weekend."

He picked up his cell phone from the coffee table beside the whisky bottle and punched the number from the card into the keypad. Wayne's eyes settled on the level in the bottle and was surprised to see how little they had drunk during their nightcap conversation.

"Not enough to account for this dry, dirty taste in my mouth," he moaned, running his tongue over his teeth while he waited for the call to connect.

"Firma Lido, Guten Morgen," the firm, businesslike female voice spoke in his ear causing him to smile.

"Good morning Greta, this is Wayne Fisher calling from the USA. Is Guenther still around. It's important I speak to him."

"Good morning Mr. Fisher," Greta's voice sounded more relaxed and conveyed the smile on her lips, "it is good to hear you. Guenther is just about to leave for Berlin. He's spending the weekend with his daughter."

"I remember he said she goes to school in Berlin. Is there a chance of a few seconds with him, it is important?"

"Of course Mr. Fisher, he will want to talk to you, just a moment and I will connect you."

                                                                 * * *

"You are the early bird Wayne or is it the night owl on the line, good morning." The cultured, accented tones of Guenther Fritsch ended in a chuckle, causing Wayne to snigger. "It's the night owl I'm afraid Guenther. I've been sharing a whisky bottle with Walt Kempster."

"Whisky? Walt Kempster? How is Walt?"

"He's fine, He got fired by Fawley today..."

"Fired? By Fawley, that is bad news for us all. What happened?"

Wayne waved his hand around in the air. "Look Guenther, I know you have to get away, so I'll tell you everything when we have the time to talk more freely. Can you call me at midnight my time tomorrow, that's 7.00am your time on Sunday?"

"Yes I know," the voice became crisp and businesslike. "Is it bad?"

"Yes, it is. You were right to be worried and to ask me to check out Fawley on my way back from my trip to Chicago. By a stroke of luck for us both, my man Greg Mitchell, was already in Bamptonville, giving me a valid reason to be here without giving away our connection."

"Ahh Yes! Mr. Mitchell, it is sad, I read about him in The Economist. Will Fawley be ready and able to supply us in any quantity by next April?"

"I doubt it. His company just might be insolvent by then."

"What is that? Insolvent. This is not good news. What do you want me to do?"

"Warn your investigator to standby for a trip to Bamptonville, what's his name..."

"Horst, Horst Sluiters."

"That's the guy. I'll brief you tomorrow night. I'll be spending most of the day with Walt and will find out more about what's going on around here."

"Why do you think Fawley will be insolvent soon?"

"Because I have a memory stick with his whole business records to date on it and I've spent the last two or three hours going through them. You should take a look for yourself. I'll put it up on our Dropbox link just as soon as I can get to an Internet connection..."

"No Wayne, No! Do not do that. Get rid of that information. It is too dangerous for us to have it. We know already how strict the US law is about taking unauthorised information. The Americans have an Economic Espionage Act and the penalties are severe. I don't want to see the file; it is too dangerous for Lido and me. Thank you anyway."

"Okay Guenther, thanks for the heads up. I've seen what I want to see. There's no way I can invest in this joint venture with Fawley and Lido as things stand at present. Let's speak to each other again tomorrow night when I've found out more about what's going wrong here."

"Sehr Gut! Do you want me to send Horst to USA to wait for your instructions?"

"Not a bad idea Guenther. Get him into a hotel in Lincoln, Nebraska and give him my number."

"Will do. Please give my good wishes to Walt Kempster. He is a good man and we will talk tomorrow night at midnight your time." The crisp edge to Guenther's business voice softened to a friendlier pitch. "Best stay off the whisky and make sure your battery is charged, I think it will be a long call."

"If you don't mind, Guenther, I'd like to take a rain check on giving Walt your good wishes. I don't want him to know we are acquainted, not just yet. ...It might put him off telling me something important. We're going to look at another possible site for our joint operations tomorrow and that's an exciting prospect."

"Oh, I understand. And you have an alternative site already, what about suppliers. You have them too?"

"It's looking promising Guenther as an alternative to the Fawley deal, and all we might have to do is buy a railroad."

"Buy a railroad? What do you mean, buy a railroad. You are joking, no?"

Wayne laughed at the anguish in Guenther's voice. "No jokes, but don't worry, go enjoy your horse ride in the Grunewald with your daughter. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow. Good Night Guenther."

"Yes, okay, but it is good morning, not good night I think?"

"For me it's good night Guenther. It's been quite a day. G'Night."

Wayne switched off his phone, tossing it onto the couch, slipped off his shoes and dived fully clothed onto the bed, leaving the headlight's burning.