Part Ninety-Nine : Getting to the End of the day!

CHAPTER NINETY-NINE

Getting to the End of the Day!

Maisie was itching for the sheriff to say something as they walked side by side across the Drubackers' farmyard to where Flik had parked the car, but the only sound she heard came from their squelching boots on mud slurry after the heavy rainfall. The sheriff remained silent, as if preoccupied. The rain had stopped, but she buttoned up her coat at the throat to keep out the damp-laden breeze. The clouds parted, revealing a number of stars, one brighter than those around it. The silence was too oppressive for Maisie and for the sake of conversation she asked,

"That's one bright star boss, I wonder what it's called."

"Arcturus," the sheriff spoke the single word with as much emotion as if he was reading a law report, and continued walking in silence.

Maisie was taken aback, her head filled with worry and uncertainties about the Drubackers, she hoped her attempt at conversation would open the sheriff up so she could ask what was to happen to Lou Drubacker, and to the family if he was sent to jail.

The sheriff walked on, offering no further information about the star or any opinion on the Drubackers. It was too much for Maisie. She stopped in her tracks and yelled at him.

"How'd you know that?"

Donovan noticed the slight hint of hysteria in her voice and knew the Drubacker situation was adversely affecting Maisie.

He stopped and turned around to face her. "I used to belong to an astronomy group at college. If you follow the tail of The Great Bear down in the same curve to the next bright star you come to Arcturus, that's what that one is."

Maisie hurried forwards to grasp the sheriff's arm, encouraged that he was speaking to her at last.

"I don't really want to know about the star boss, I really want you to tell me what's going to happen to the Drubackers. Are they gonna be alright?"

Donovan blew out a lengthy sigh before speaking.

"I don't know Maisie. It's what I was trying to work out when you asked me about the star. It's out of my hands now. I'm gonna try to get Lou Drubacker in front of Judge Denman and released into my custody, then we can do something about turning their fortunes around. It's all in the hands of this darned shrink from the DHHS - Hayley Weissmuller. I've asked her to let me take it over, but she's not making a decision until Becky and her Pa have spent a night at Freedom Fields and they assess any long-term damage to the girl."

"But you heard Mrs. Drubacker back in the house boss. Lou loves all his kids, but Becky's his favourite 'cos she's the eldest and spends a lot of time with him. She said he wouldn't hurt her and I believe her. Surely there's something we can do."

Maisie stamped her foot and splashed muddy water over herself and the sheriff as her angst turned into frustration. Flik grabbed her elbow and held her firm.

"I'm with you on this Maisie. These people need help not judgements. They're good country folks and you can see they're raising their kids to be good, useful people, but we have to work within the law."

"But dammit boss, that Weissmuller woman's looking at a rule book, she ain't takin' in what needs to be done fer this family. If she wants to see a damaged Becky Drubacker then all she has to do is put her father in jail and she's got it."

Flik chuckled benignly. "You know Maisie you've just broken the first rule of Peacekeeping - don't get yerself personally involved."

Maisie swung back at him. "But how can you not, boss, when we see what these folks're goin' through, it's enough to drive anyone crazy. I cain't just sit by and see this family put on the people scrapheap or whatever it is where the social rulebook wants to put 'em. I want to help them."