Part Ninety-Two (bravo) : Riding the See-Saw

Dedication: This chapter is dedicated to my 500th follower - @DiamondLoveAngel

Chapter Ninety-Two (bravo)

A/:N Continues directly from last chapter :

“That is most interesting Dean, most interesting; so this has been discussed at the top level in your firm, Everly Peabody?”

“Absolutely.”

“That’s encouraging, but what I don’t understand Dean, is why your Board should be enthusiastic about it, or why they should be told about it at all.”

“Why you ask? ...Well ... Well that’s because of what follows on from the placement, from the future developments with Fisher’s. It’s mind boggling...” Dean stopped himself from saying any more when his memory pricked to remind him that Wayne did not want Greg to know of these planned developments just yet.

Greg nodded and bit his lip to stifle an outburst, but was shrivelling up inside. “And that’s why this placement has to raise one hundred million dollars.”

“That’s right. I can’t say any more, you’ll have to ask Wayne for details, but the IPO earnings are only the start, another hundred million is likely to be needed for research and development before there’s a chance for any payback.”

Greg forced himself to remain calm although the buzz to deliver his killer question grew ever stronger. ”And what exactly is so exciting about Fisher’s new developments after the IPO?”

Greg was hyped up so that the pause of a second before Dean spoke again seemed longer.

“This is darned awkward Greg. I’m sorry but I’m not at liberty to say. I’ve said more than I should have done already. I’m afraid you’ll have to ask Wayne to tell you that.”

Greg took a deep breath before launching his attack on Halburton.

“Now I always trusted you implicitly Dean. I’ve always listened to you and been grateful to you for always doing your very best for me. I have never once doubted that you were working one hundred per cent in my interests.”

“Thank you Greg. That’s very nice of you to say so.”

“...Until now.”

Halburton spluttered with surprise. “ Until now? I ...I don’t understand you.”

Greg smirked and began adding to Halburton’s discomfort. “ Yes, until now I have never doubted you, but I find myself in that position tonight.”

Dean recovered his composure behind the façade of the professional lawyer answering Greg with a non-malicious sharpness of tongue. “That is most hurtful and I must ask you to withdraw or explain that uncalled for remark.”

“I’ll not withdraw. Let me explain Dean. You see I thought you were my lawyer. That is was me whom you advised; my interests that you safeguarded and I gladly paid your fees accordingly in that apparently mistaken belief.” 

Greg paused to give Dean the opportunity to retaliate, but the lawyer remained crammed into the tiny telephone booth at the opera house in deep shock, the expression on his face akin to the fear of a waking sleepwalker, of not knowing where he was.  

Greg did not prompt Dean for a reply when none was forthcoming and continued with his verbal assault. “But I find that behind my back you are advising Wayne against my best interests; you are even in the possession of important information that is denied to me. You will not tell me, yet I am your client in this affair, whose business it is, and it is of sufficient importance to divulge to your Board and of such relevance that they become enthusiastic enough to want to take Fishers onto your books. Now I call that old-fashioned conflict of interest and dereliction of duty to a client. How say you to that?”

The professional lawyer in Dean responded. “No, no, no, no, no Greg. You have it all wrong. It’s not like that at all. I am looking after your interests. The Fisher’s IPO has not yet gone ahead, until that time you remain the principal investor in Fishers and it is acting in your best interests that I advised Wayne to consult Goldman’s and, indeed, approached them on your joint behalf, in the knowledge that it was again in your best interests to prosecute this placement. There is no conflict of interest as long as your interests in this case are joined with Wayne Fisher’s.”

Greg emitted a cold, bitter laugh. “Now that sounds like lawyer speak to me Dean, but it does not explain how you know about the need for one hundred million dollars and so does your Board, yet I don’t and, I believe you advised Wayne not to tell me. How can that be in my best interests?” 

Halburton tittered nervously before replying. “Yes Greg, that is correct. Let me ask you this.  How long did it take you to embark on a venture to support through College a young man known to you for minutes only; then again to set up a slush fund to support idle tradesmen, some of whom you might not yet have met or how long did it take you to decide to take over a failed potato venture when you learned of its availability?”

Greg shrugged. “I don’t know, ten, fifteen minutes maybe, what’s your point?”

“ Precisely...”

“What does ‘precisely’ mean?”

“ It means when you see an opportunity for a profit you go for it; it’s in your character to do so, but it’s always a fairly quick return you seek to pocket the profit and move on to the next thing that takes your fancy.”

“That’s called trading Dean. It’s what I do. What’s so wrong with that?” 

“Nothing at all, if that’s the business you are in. The point I am making is that you are an impulsive person and you act on instantaneous impulse.  Mr. Fisher’s business requires more of an academic approach and a much longer commitment. It will not likely suit your modus operandi.”

“Thank you kindly Dean for making my decisions for me, but I am perfectly capable of making them for myself.”

“Not in this case you’re not.” Halburton’s retort came back with the speed and strength of a gunshot.

“What? What did you just say?” Greg sounded incredulous, forcing a nervous chuckle. “Just who the hell do you think you are sitting there in your office in Boston to tell me what I can and cannot do and failing to advise me even of what is going on around me when I am here on the spot?”

“Yes, perhaps I should have talked it over with you some more, but this has been going on for so long already in your absence I suppose we have all got used to making decisions without you. But to answer your question; I think you are not quite yourself at the moment...”

“Now you’re becoming very annoying...”

“ I’m sorry about that Greg, but it’s not just me who thinks you are unsettled by your traumas and need some time to get back to your normal, rational self before considering this future development for Fishers – one that could so easily be spoiled by a rash intervention for misplaced reasons.”

“Just hold on a minute Dean what exactly are you saying here and who are these other people who think I’m out of my mind?”

“Wayne Fisher for a start and then there’s Elbury..."

"ELBURY? You mean you’ve discussed this with Elbury, and he agrees I’m not myself?  The man never knew I existed before last week. How can he judge me and how can you accept his judgement of me? ...And are you also saying that Elbury knows about this future development of Fishers'?”

“Yes he does. Elbury's a good judge of character and, I shouldn’t say this, but he agrees with me to keep it from you until you get yourself sorted out and back into harness properly.”

“And what the devil is that supposed to mean?”

“It means stop compensating yourself with distractions in which you are the big-shot again in small, of no account enterprises that will sap your mental and physical energies. Until Wayne can be certain you are your rational self again and ready to commit to the longer term with Fishers then you should not be told about the Fisher plans beyond the IPO.”