Chapter 39

River's point of view

                                                                     ^^^Alana (second oldest)^^^

^^^Brody (17)^^^

Zachery was acting jumpy. Every time I asked him what was wrong he ignored the question. I figured it was because someone was coming to save me or he's getting nervous about something, maybe someone escaped? He was dragging me into the infirmary. I was having my blood drawn to see if I've become pregnant. I was thinking as this happened. Why has Connor come to visit me? Zachary said he could. Me and Zachary were waiting for the results in silence since no one wanted to speak to another. I was glaring at him while he pretended to read a magazine. The same doctor came in holding my results that could mean life or death.

"She's pregnant." She announced in a monotone voice as she handed the paperwork to Zachary, who wanted to double check, I guess. He smiled at my stomach. I stared at my tummy for a second before the doctor walked out. Zachary stared at the results for what seemed like hours. I looked over where I saw a tray of medical instruments. I stood up quickly as I grabbed a scalpel intending to see some blood. I ran at him before he could even notice me. I sliced his check earning a grunt in response from him. I was bringing back the knife when he grabbed it from my hand, but not before I sliced his hand as well.

I looked at my handy work. He would definitely need some stitches for that cut on his cheek. He threw the scalpel away from us as he advanced on me. He put me in a choke hold lifting me into the air before something snapped in him making him drop me back to the ground making me cough. He lifted me up as I held onto my throat. He looked beyond pissed and I don't know why he hadn't punished me more. He seemed like the type of guy the wouldn't care about hurting women. Maybe the baby?

He shoved me to the guard waiting outside that hadn't heard anything from inside the room, apparently. They had an unspoken conversation making the guard drag me in the direction I have known to be my cell. I held my stomach as I was lightly pushed into the cell.