Chapter 24

Jessica's point of view

                                                               ^^^ Lucy (18) (daughter of Jessica)^^^

We have been travelling for maybe a month or more. My stomach is starting to grow. We were taking a break from swimming since it's not very good for the child. I turned to see Harbour slide over a fish for me to eat. I ate slowly trying to enjoy the food, since I was pregnant I needed to eat more than I usually do.

"Do you like it?" Harbour asked. I grunted at him response. The fish was gone before I'd have liked meaning we were back to swimming across the world to America.

We were swimming in silence. No one wanted to disrupt the quiet, plus I kept glaring at Harbour every time he would try to talk to me. I watched as seals swam past us. I noticed they looked like children.

"I want to give birth in the ocean." I told Harbour all of a sudden, making my request known.

"Alright. When the baby is close to being born; we'll go to the sea." Good I thought. We swam in more silence. The seals began to swim around us, trying to play with me but I wasn't in the mood. Harbour on the other hand was playing with them making them squeal with laughter. I stopped and watched them smiling at his silliness. If this is how he acted with seals then he must be pretty good with children. What am I saying, he has twenty two kids of course he's good with kids. Harbour was swimming pretty far away, playing with the seals. I waited here since the way the seals were going is in the opposite direction we need to go, so he'd come back. I watched as Harbour waved his arms over his head. I waved back so he'd know he can keep playing. I watched as he began to swim at me at an alarming speed shouting like a madman while dancing with his arms in the air as he had them.

Then I felt it. A pain. I grunted in pain looking down I saw what had caused the pain. A shark was connected to me at my waist, blood seeping out where his teeth were connected to me. I screamed in pain with my tears flowing up into the ocean above me. I looked at Harbour as the shark made us sink lower to the ocean floor. We sank until I couldn't see Harbour but further we still went. I had to fight, I thought as I punched the shark's nose. He let go almost immediately.

I hit him with my tail trying to swim away as well as hurt him. I swam until I broke surface. I didn't know where Harbour had gone but I needed to fix the blood that was pouring out of me. Otherwise we'd have more sharks. I looked down where the shark bite me. That's where the baby should be I thought as I felt tears leave my eyes. My baby, I kept thinking this as I fixed the blood with the cloth I had in my bag. I wrapped my abdomen tightly with the cloth. Securing it to me as to not let blood seep out.

I looked down into the ocean to sea Harbour fighting with the shark. He hit him with his tail to distract the shark making it confused as he went around and pulled it into a choke hold that it wasn't able to get out of. We both watched, at different depths in the ocean, as the shark slowly sank unconsciousness. Harbour swam up where I was waiting pulling me into a hug. He pulled away to look at my stomach. He put his hand where the baby was, looking up he asked the unspoken question that I knew the answer too. I shook my head no as I watched his face fall. I knew the baby hadn't survived and it was my fault.