Chapter 20

River's point of view

^^^Conner (I can't remember if I showed you what he looks like)^^^

                                                           ^^^Zachery (father of Conner)^^^

I was in a room. I wasn't tied down like I thought I would. I had been shouting for Connor, asking to know if he was okay. I wanted to make sure they hadn't hurt him. They didn't want him, so they wouldn't hurt him, right? I was banging on the door at the moment, asking for attention. No one has come to see me, but then again there was a two way mirror. I was screaming at the top of my lungs that tears were streaming down my face. I slid down the door, out of breath and tired. I just wanted to know what happened to Connor. I cried quietly with my hands over my eyes, asking, begging for knowledge on Connor.

The door opened making me stand up and back away a few steps to get as far from the person who was about to come through that door. A man came in with blonde hair and purple eyes, a mutation that showed up a few generations ago. He smiled at me.

"You keep asking for Connor. You love him, don't you?" He asked with a twinkle in his eye like he had something up his sleeve. I didn't answer him. I didn't want him to hear the quaver in my voice as I spoke. "My son is a lucky man." He stated, making my jaw drop. No. He can't be Connor's father. Is this why he never wanted me to meet his family, so he could get me here? Did he even love me? I felt the tears begin to slide down my face but instead of from fear from sadness. Maybe I deserve this? I told myself as I wiped away the tears that didn't seem to want to stop.

"You're lying!" I shouted at him without quavering, telling me I was angry at this new information.

He just smiled at me before opening the door to reveal Connor giving me a sad smile. I blinked at him.

"I new what you were from my father." He began but I didn't want to hear his explanation.

"Did you even love me?!" I shouted at him making him stop from continuing talking. He nodded his head then turned his face away from me, not looking me in the eye.

"I'm sorry." He said so quietly I almost didn't hear him.That made me snap.

"You're sorry!?" I screamed at him in almost hysteria. "Do you know what they do to us here?!" I shook my head at his stupidity. "Why?" I whispered at him since my voice was beginning to hurt from screaming at him so much.

"Because my dad wanted subjects. I just want his approval." He whispered the last part so his father couldn't hear. "He wanted to know everything about pregnancies for mermaids. He said we could use my sperm for fertilizing you since he wants to know what humans and mermaid's child would look like. I asked him" I stared at him in shock. "Don't worry, we're waiting a few more years for you since you're so young." He gave me a small smile as I gave him a blank look. He's as insane as his father. I really did know how to choose them.

Connor then turned to his father who gave him a nodded making him walk out the door with one last glance at me with hopeful look. His father, Zachary, watched the exchange. "You might want to get comfortable, you'll be here for a long time. Maybe if you're good we can move you to a zoo so then at least you'd be near other animals." He gave me a smile that reminded me of the joker.

He turned shutting the door behind him. Making me start my screaming again but asking for Connor, asking to be released. To leave and go back to my family. I banged on the door for what felt like hours and screamed my lungs out to where I could no longer even whisper without hurt my throat.