Chapter 39: Beau and Nolan

Asher and Alec had spent the week out of town. They had some business to take care of with a rival gang and well if all four of them went, no one could protect me. Beau might be the leader but Asher was much more charismatic and Alec was just the guy you bring because he could protect you best.

We had pretty much a slow week. Nolan and I watched every episode of Greys Anatomy, mostly because we didn't go to school, there was a gas leak so we had a week off. Sophie spent the week out of town on college visits with her mom so Beau was forced to hang with us, even though, he would much rather be with Sophie. But today, it wasn't the same.

The penthouse is much quieter without Asher and Alec's constant bickering but today it was almost dead silent. Nolan was reading something on his computer and Beau was playing with a pocket knife; that was a little disturbing. Usually they both wore black but today they were in full black and two candles were lit. I've had my share of loss in the family so I knew it was something bad. All I could think of is Alec and Asher and if this was for them.

"Hey guys," I say, "What's with the candles and the black clothes?"

I hope they don't hear the fear in my voice.

Beau speaks up, "Um it's for my brother and Nolan's mom. It's the anniversary of their death today so it's kind of a hard day for us."

I'm relieved but sad for them, "Aw I'm so sorry. Are you guys going to visit their graves?"

Nolan shrugs, "Don't know."

"Well I think you two should."

"We can go another day, when Asher and Alec are here," Beau tells me. Oh they can't leave me alone. Now I feel guilty.

"Well if you two want, I'll go with you."

"It's not you Evie," Nolan tells me, "We just don't want to be put in a vulnerable position."

Ahh he means he doesn't want to cry in front of me. Why are guys so scared of showing their emotions? "I'll be there, you'll be tough."

Beau sighs, "Do you want to go?"

Nolan shrugs, "If you go I'll go."

Beau grabs his keys, "Let's get this over with."

Now they're both buried in two different places. Beau's brother is buried far from town; closer to the lake town than our town. We seem to be driving forever but I don't mind because I simply listen to my music and watch Netflix while Beau drives. We stop at a wooden cabin by the lake and Beau shuts off his engine. We get out, I'm a bit confused as to why we're here but hey, I'm always up for a mystery.

"This was my brother's favorite place. My dad bought it for him when he was sixteen and he came here all the time. He would spend all weekend here at the lake and when he graduated high school, he moved here. I'd visit him when I could and well, a couple months later he crashed his car and died. My parents wanted to bury him and so we did, but it's not here. I come up here on the anniversary of his death because it's more personal than a cemetery."

I walk up to Beau and squeeze his hand. I know this is hell for him right now. He lost his big brother, and this is the one thing he really has left of him. We walk around, Beau shows me everything here including the inside of the cabin which has one bedroom and a small living room and kitchen. The place looks peaceful, I can see why his brother liked it so much. I could totally live here but not alone. I would stress too much alone.

Beau cried a little. He tried to hide it but I saw it but pretended I didn't. I'll let him put up this tough guy act even though no one can be strong all the time. After our walk around, we got in the car and drove to an actual cemetery. It took Nolan a little bit to get out of the car and then after that, well we went to the grave. Nolan didn't speak or do anything, he just stood there watching the grave. Finally, I saw him break down. Nolan was different from Beau, Nolan showed emotion. I saw him break down and collapse to the ground by the tombstone.

I was never good at comforting people but I kneeled onto the grass and just rubbed Nolan's back. I side hugged him and rubbed his back. Beau turned away, his brother's tombstone right behind us and I wish I could've comforted both of them at once. I split my time between them until they were ready to go home.

The car ride was quiet until I finally spoke, "Is that how you two met? You both lost two people you cared about at the same time?"

Nolan nods, "Yeah we met in the hospital. A couple days later we met Alec and Asher and the rest is history."

"I know it hurts, no matter how much you two don't want to admit it, but think about it, everything happens for a reason. It brought you four together. There's a positive in this sad day too," I tell them and I see Beau smile.

"Actually we all officially met this day, we just made the gang a couple days later."

I smile, "So think about this day two ways; the first way, as a day you both lost someone you cared deeply about and the second, the day you guys officially met and made this amazing friendship you have."

"You know Evie," Nolan tells me, "You're really good at making people feel better."

I smile, "I try."

We listen to songs the rest of the way, singing loudly and off key on the majority of them. When we get back to the penthouse, all three of us watch the Flash because it looks like a pretty good show. After we watch a couple episodes, we decide to watch Insidious because why not, well let's say that movie scares me to the point I can't sleep.

We decided to watch it in the dark because obviously that's how you watch horror movies and I grabbed onto Beau and Nolan at least ten times throughout the film. We were watching the scene with the baby and the crib and when that red face appeared out of nowhere, I screamed. But I wasn't the only one because in that moment, the elevator dinged which caused all three of us to scream and fall. Beau and Nolan had their guns out which only shocked Alec and Asher who were just walking in.

"Whoa," Asher says, "It's just us."

"Are you guys seriously scared of this movie?" Alec asks, "We're watching a scarier one."

And that's the story of how I didn't sleep for a week straight.

**************************************************************************

Okay so a little different; no Alie or Ashvie at all. I thought we needed a cute moment of Evie Beau and Nolan because i think their friendship is pretty underrated. Anyway I really hope you enjoyed this chapter :) Let me know what you think.

Also in this chapter and next chapter, tell me which song you like best for a book trailer. Like which one could you see be the anthem of this book more :)

The one above will be Bad Boys by Zara Larsson

and the next chapter will be another song and then choose which one you like best.

Thanks again for reading, voting and commenting, I appreciate it soooo much. I will upload the book trailer on the last chapter which is coming soon.

Little spoiler for next chapter...something bad will happen to them all. 

Love you xx