Chapter 59

The following day Neiko, the Attack Pack, Wartalon, and several Hawks made their way to Cougan's Bluff. They walked along a trail, and they could see the bluff itself along with Flashflood Falls.

When they came to the bluff, they walked behind the waterfall and into the cave. They continued until they came onto a strange formation. It was a stage with a ramp of stairs going to a flat surface surrounded with columns. In the center of the columns, which were on the outer perimeter, was a podium, which may have been a huge stalagmite in the past, with a hole for the key. "Whoever is going to Hawote with Neiko, go and stand on the platform," Wartalon said.

"Who's all going?" asked Bantor.

Lydia stepped forward. "I definitely am."

Phoenix stepped forward with his wife. "I will as well. Not all of us need to go to Hawote, and most will stay behind. I need only three more volunteers." Cheetor, Ramulus, and Sandstorm walked up.

Aries and Cheetara walked up to wish them luck. "Good luck, guys. Neiko, I'll miss you," Cheetara said, rubbing against her.

"I'm not gone for good. I'll be back," Neiko said hugging her strong neck, and she wrapped one huge arm around her and rubbed her back with her paw.

Aries shook her hand with her hoof. The six leaving for Hawote went onto the platform.

"Go back to Norak as soon as we leave and wait for us to return," Phoenix said to the rest.

Wartalon placed the key to the hole into the podium. The key was a ruby that was carved into the shape of the sun. It glowed red light, and the six were surrounded by blue light. "Farewell, and come back to visit," Wartalon said to Neiko. Neiko nodded and waved to everyone who watched. Wartalon raised his hands and started the chant. "Hawote, Hawote, take your own, these six come back to your bosom. Into the yard of Neiko in whence she came," he chanted then clapped his hands. The six were engulfed in blue light.

* * *

The six came into the front yard of her house, and it was dark in Hawote. "Home sweet home, I thought I would never see it again," Neiko said looking at the familiar surroundings. "There are some things I gotta do before I tell my parents I'm back. I have to make sure the Seven Tribes are okay."

Sandstorm put his hand on her shoulder. "Lead the way. I have to say this. You must not tell them about us, and mention nothing of Ramses to anyone because I know panic would spread."

"I got ya. I gotta make up one heck of a story, and I wonder what I should say. I guess I'll tell them I was indeed kidnapped by a guy in chrome armor, but lead on it was some wacko Georgian and not Ramses the Dark Pharaoh."

"Good idea. What should we do now?" asked Sandstorm.

"I can't get to my secret phone, but the armory has a radio with channels to all Seven Tribes. I'll radio them and tell them I'm back. I know they always have listeners. C'mon, let's go."

* * *

About fifteen minutes passed when they reached the armory. Neiko knocked on the door, but no one came. She knocked again and said, "Bear Claw, are you there? Hello?" but there was no answer. "That's weird. He's usually here. I know where the spare key is," she said as she pulled it from underneath brick in the windowsill. Neiko opened it, and they went inside. The armory was empty and dust was everywhere as if someone hasn't been there in weeks.

"Neiko, are armories always this dirty?" asked Lydia.

"No way. Bear Claw is a neat-freak, and he would have a fit if he saw this," she replied as she went to the CB radio.