Chapter 22

Neiko shoved the remaining bit of honey bun into her mouth and carried another into her room, but on her way she ran into her mom. "What are you doing with that?" she asked.

"I'm so hungry I thought I might have seconds, and I've got a drawing to finish," Neiko replied.

"Alright," she said. Neiko walked into her room and closed the door. "Well, I got you a honey bun, and I hope you like it," Neiko said as she unwrapped it and laid it down on top of the wrapper. Quickstrike scurried over and looked at it doubtfully.

"I want bugs or something," complained Quickstrike.

"I'm sorry, but that's all I have. I can't really find bugs here because there are no woods. Will you at least try it?"

Quickstrike grabbed a claw full and shoved it into his mouth. "Mmm, not bad. Your food is kind of strange, but it tastes good. Just wait till you try ours."

"What do you mean? I'm not going to Qari. What type of food are you talking about anyway?"

"Oh, I didn't mean you were coming; I was just saying maybe I'll make a dish or something. Well, like barbecued velociraptor, marinated beetles, wild cherry muffins, and Lydia's famous slug casserole, fried snails, and my favorite, parched rollie pollies. We have much more selection, but we would be here all day if I have to name them all."

Neiko grimaced. "Yuck! The only thing that sounds good is wild cherry muffins. Do you ever eat deer?"

"Oh yeah, we do a lot. Is that something you like?"

"Yeah, barbecued deer is my favorite, and I like it hot and spicy." Neiko said as she dreamed of a steaming bowl of the stuff.

"You eat hot stuff? I'm not particularly fond of hot and spicy food, but you can try some of our food, and you wouldn't die if you eat it. Maybe you can try something like snake, frog legs, alligator, or crawfish."

"Mmm, I've always wanted to try snake and that other stuff, but do you eat fish?"

"Oh yes, we eat every kind—catfish, bream, bass, and even pirhana."

"What does pirhana taste like?"

"I'll surprise you, you'll know when you try some, believe me. It's good. I like it with a side dish of worm pasta with katydid dices."

"Eww! What's for dessert?"

"Cricket cobbler, chocolate covered fire ants, or any type of fruit cobbler or pie."

"Sick! I'll just stick with just plain chocolate. Can you put almonds or nuts in chocolate?"

"Yes, I prefer plain chocolate too because fire ants give me gas," Quickstrike said groaning.

"Oh, did they give you a stomachache?" Neiko said laughing.

"Yes, you bet! I also wondered why Buzzclaw and Torca kicked me out of the tent."

Neiko laughed so hard her side started hurting. "That bad, huh?"

"Yes, hee, hee, they said I was making too much noise because they were trying to sleep, and need I say more? Glacier, Darkclaw, and Rip Rat said I could stay with them because I can't possibly bother them, and I believe you know why."

"Yeah, well—" Neiko started saying, but her mom called.

"Amanda, I'm going to the bank and to the post office; I'll be back in about forty-five minutes!"

"Alright, mom!" Neiko called back. "You want to play video games?"

"What? What are those?"

"Oh, uh, they're games you play on the TV, do you want to watch?"