Chapter 2

While the car was leaving, Raven and Bloodhawk watched from the woods.

"What's going on?" asked Bloodhawk.

"It looks like Neiko is missing another meeting," replied Raven, his father.

"That's good, but why is she missing so many?" he asked.

"I don't know, but I'm sure Francesco will have the honor in telling us. A rebellious streak would be my first guess."

"When is he going to come? I'm getting sick of waiting on that poor excuse for a man—I'm ready to plan and take action now!"

"Patience, my son. You'll get the chance. Besides, we need to know their plans, and the meeting has just started," said Raven, smiling at his impatient son.

"You're right. But I'm so tired of watching Neiko go free. I'm so anxious to get her, bring her to the castle, and make her my queen. I would love the opportunity of kidnapping her myself."

"Of course you do, but you couldn't possibly sneak into that neighborhood without being seen or causing panic among the neighbors. Then the Seven Tribes would be on you like flies on day old carrion. You wouldn't want that would you?"

"No, I could just shanghai her from her cousin's house tonight when it's dark, when she is sleeping."

"Now, you know that won't work either because you can't fit in that house, you would be seen, panic will spread, and you may be caught and made into a circus attraction. Besides, you don't know how long she will stay up. She stayed up just about all night once, remember? Bloodhawk, use your head like I taught you. You must not let your heart overpower your head. Just think, in a matter of months she will be in college and then getting her will be a snap. No one will know what happened, and it will be too late. College will separate her from everyone, and you can find the opportunity, and she will be yours."

"Well maybe, but then she may be even more of a nuisance if she has too much time on her hands when college starts. So if I grab her now, then that'll be all she wrote. Then she would be out of the way and be mine at the same time."

"Very good, that's the way. Both have their drawbacks and advantages, and you nailed them both, I'm proud. You know, you're right. We do need to get her out of the way so we can conquer the Seven Tribes, but she needs to be safe; not in our custody till after we win. But at the same time be where she will be easy to retrieve, and be out of the way. But I have no idea how to do all of those at the same time."

"Father, I don't believe we can do all of them at the same time; we may have to give a little, but we can think of something that can put her out of commission. Her safety will be assured, but if we do decide to take her, then she won't be too badly missed."

Raven cocked his head in a questioning manner, looked at him blankly, and asked, "What are you getting at?"

"Well, like—um, if we made her look like a traitor, then her friends won't miss her if she disappears suddenly. And they will think she ran away because she couldn't stand the heat. Only we will know she is innocent, and we don't have to worry about any suspicions or rescues; she will be out of the way, safe, and our helpless prisoner. When we win, they will never see her again and never know what happened or what hit them."

Raven rubbed his hands together and smiled devilishly. "Oh, I get it. Try to ruin her reputation so that no one will believe her if something happens or if she finds out one of our secrets, and at the right time, get her. Good thinking, but there are a few problems with this."

"Like what?" he asked frustrated.

"First, there will be few to believe that she would be capable of treachery; for those who are convinced, these believers will meddle, find the truth, and clear her name. Second, if we do take her, then her parents will be missing her. Also, people will discover that we are responsible and make a war to rescue her. You have the right idea of making tension between Neiko and her friends, but we need to take it a step further. We need to think of something to make tension with everybody. This includes her parents as well."