Chapter 48

Several days passed and the Attack Pack went into Bird Wood and set up camp. Everyone pitched in helping set up the tents and the beds. They gathered wood and dinner for the entire group and set up room arrangements; Neiko was assigned with Lydia. Neiko distanced herself from her, and stayed closer to the rest until bedtime that night. Lydia stayed in the tent that night, but she stayed up late like she was trying to wait till Neiko went to bed. Neiko did so, but she feigned sleep. She watched her through tiny slits. Lydia walked toward her and rubbed her face, but she faked groaning and rolling over, and said, "Mom, is my favorite cartoon on yet?"

Thinking she was asleep, Lydia walked to a secluded corner and pulled a crystal out of her shoe, rubbed it, and Neiko pulled the covers over her head, rolled back over, and opened a hole so she could see. Lydia cautiously hid it, and she looked at Neiko for a few minutes and studied her, but Neiko didn't move, so she pulled out the crystal once more. She rubbed it and asked, "Master are you there? It is I, Vipra."

The crystal shone a dim, green light, and Neiko watched in horror as a familiar figure appeared inside of it. "It's about time. What took so long? Have you met with Quicksilver?"

"I have met with him, and he has told me all. I had a problem trying to call you because of that stupid Attack Pack, and Neiko has been watching me like a hawk ever since I saw Quicksilver. She does not know it was him; she doubts me, but at least she thinks I'm cheating on Phoenix."

"Where is she now?"

"She's here with me asleep. I made certain of it."

"No more talk tonight. Meet with me at the Great Oak tomorrow night at midnight and make certain no one knows where you are going, farewell," he said then disappeared, and Vipra put the crystal back into her shoe. Neiko pulled the covers over her head, and fear crept into her soul. She thought heavily about what had been said, and she fell asleep despite all the things in her mind.

* * *

The next morning Neiko got up early to avoid Vipra before she got up. She ran outside and found Raptor. "Where's the Great Oak?" she asked.

"It's down that little trail right there on the right. You can't miss it. Why?"

"I—uh, just want to go there to relax that's all," she said casually then she walked down the trail and found the great tree. Neiko found a bush about five feet away from the meeting place, and it offered suitable camouflage; she would not be seen in the night. The trip was about ten minutes. "Okay, hiding place and timed the trip. I gotta find the time to get into my spot before Vipra comes and meet with Chrome Gas. I gotta find some excuse to leave, and I can't be spotted because I'll be caught if I do, so I really got to be careful."

That day she found a way to make it, and she waited till that night. She pretended to go to bed early, which was about nine. She laid in bed till about ten thirty. She put pillows under the covers to make it like she was still there, and she hid under the bed. Vipra came to the door and peeked, and she left thinking it was she. She slipped out the back of the tent, and carefully went into her hiding place at the Great Oak. She waited the remaining time until Vipra appeared. Suddenly out of nowhere appeared Ramses. "I am here and no one followed."

"You can take off that disguise," he said. Then she changed into her true hideous form. She had black skin and yellow eyes with two pointed fangs coming from her top lip, and she wore a black cloak. "I have a job for you, and there can be no mistakes. Take this phial of sleeping potion and give it all to her, and she must take every last drop. I know exactly how to do it. You will give Neiko her favorite dish, which is deer barbecue, and put this in it. Make it a dinner with just you and her, alone. She will gradually grow tired, and you will put her in bed. Summon me, and I will take her away, and you will handle the Attack Pack. I want this done tomorrow night. If I don't hear from you then, I will come anyway."

"I understand," she said as she took the phial from him. "Before you leave, I have something to tell you. Neiko knows who you are and of your secrets."

"How? Who told her?"

"Nobody. She said she has always known, and that is not all she knows. She said she knows much more to 'nail you to the wall' is how she put it. She was hoping to warn Lydia; she is dangerous. Should I kill her to avoid your secrets from being revealed?"

"No. Do as you're told. I will handle this little problem myself, and is there anyone else who knows?"

"Quickstrike, my lord."

"Neiko will tell no one once I have her, and you will slay Quickstrike. I have a feeling she may know just about everything, but there is one thing she will never know until it's too late. So, she is the Chosen One as well, but that will not change what I have planned, and it will not save her from—never mind. The fact remains if she stops me from reigning, she will never see the last of me. Go now, I will be waiting for your call," he said as he disappeared into the foliage without making a sound, and Vipra turned and ran back to the camp. Neiko took the long way back and made it to bed, but she couldn't sleep that night.