Chapter 51

That night everybody met to see what the two had to say. "You said you knew who the Dark Pharaoh is, so tell us," said Sichus impatiently.

Raptor took a deep breath and said, "It's Ramses."

Everyone gasped, and Quickstrike told them everything that he knew.

"So basically he probably took her to Skull Fort, and he has no idea that all of us know, and we must keep it that way. We will treat him like we know no different, but he is aware that I know, and he's got the person who found everything. I can tell he's almost ready to reveal himself. Now we're kinda ready for what lies ahead, and we know what he's capable of."

"Your right, we must do exactly that. We have to mobilize tonight because I don't know what he's got in store for her, and I will waste no time to let him get away with this." Lydia got up and was about to leave, when Phoenix asked, "Where are you going?"

"To bed. I'm tired," Vipra lied. When she walked to the door Velosos and Raptor stopped her.

"Lying you are," Velosos snarled. "Tell Dark Pharaoh our plan you were, Vipra."

Seeing they had discovered her, she looked around in fear. Angry beasts surrounded her, and she turned into her real self. Cheetor sprang onto her and sank in his claws and teeth while many others followed, and Vipra lived no more. "We have another problem. We have to find Lydia and now Ramses may know what Neiko knows, and maybe we stopped her from telling him."

"No, he knew before he kidnapped her, but he doesn't know the extent of her knowledge," Quickstrike said in dread.

"We can't waste time trying to find a Good Pharaoh now, we must handle this ourselves, and we'll save that for more dire emergencies," said Sonar.

"We have to find the fortress, and we must plan carefully because he will expect us to attack when he discovers Vipra is dead—we have no time to lose! Let's fly!" said Phoenix, and everyone flew into the night, the ones unable to fly riding on the ones that could.

* * *

Ramses and Neiko rode into the Giant Forest, and the giant trees towered over them. The forest was somewhat dark because the trees were so thick the sun could barely penetrate. They crossed over the Schism Canyon on a wooden bridge that was guarded by Skull Bearers. They let him pass, and then they entered into the Dark Forest. This forest was pitch-black, and suddenly Skull Fort towered before them. The huge stone fortress was enormous, and its towers reached up into the tall trees' limbs. Crow cages contained the bones of dead men, and the skeletons of the tortured added to the morbid appearance of the place. He rode across the drawbridge, and when he passed the gate, the drawbridge closed, and they lowered the gate. He kicked the horse to a run as he approached the stronghold. "Open the doors," he commanded.

"Yes," they said then opened the doors. He stopped Goliath in the foyer, and waited till some of them came to steady the horse.

"Hold her till I get off," said Ramses to two Skull Bearers, and they did as he bid. As soon as he slipped off, he said to them as he grasped her arm, "Take him to the stable," noticing the armlet and lightning sword complete with belt. "So, you found my lightning sword and armlet? I'll take those if you don't mind," he said as he took them off, and Neiko gritted her teeth knowing she was trapped. Goliath pawed the floor, and they backed away. He walked up, nuzzled his master, and looked at Neiko intently as he licked her face and sniffed her hair. Neiko looked at him puzzled. "He likes you," Ramses said. "Goliath, go with them now, and I will come later." Goliath grunted. "I will bring her along," he said as he stroked his nose. The two Skull Bearers came and the gigantic horse left with them. "Let's go," he said then led her into the hall.

As they entered the throne room, Osiris saw them. "Well, so you finally caught her, and I didn't expect you back so soon." Osiris wore one large purple suit with black stripes with shin and wrist guards. His breastplate came up over his shoulders, and his entire armor was covered in razor-sharp blades. His helmet was black with silver designs. Two large stag beetle pinchers extended from both sides of his head, and the only parts of his body that showed were his hands and his eyes.

"Well, it was easier than I thought it would be," he said gruffly. "I'm proud, son. Welcome, Neiko," he said kindly.

"Thanks," she said bluntly.

"Be sure to introduce her to your brothers, especially since she will be living among us."

"Alright," he snapped moodily.

"Don't be temperamental. I'm still your father even though you are the First Pharaoh," said Osiris sharply as he left the room, and the three waltzed in.

"Hey, look who's here!" said Tut.

"Oh, look it's Tutankhamen II," Neiko said jeeringly.

"Don't call me that! I hate that name! I only go by Tut, besides, I can't even spell that mouth full of a name."

"You know, people should be able to spell their own names, and by the way, Tut is harder to spell than Re," she said mockingly as Tut gritted his teeth.

"Enough," Ramses growled harshly.

"I'm Re, and this is Menes," said Re, smiling.

"Yeah, nice of you to join us," said Menes slyly.

"Yeah, how'd you like my defense move, Menes?" she said, and before she could hurl any more insults, Ramses tightened his grip on her arm and gave her a warning look.

"Oh, I wouldn't be so smug about that because we got you, and you have no archers to mow us down," Menes said proudly as a shrewd light came into his eyes.

"What do you mean we? It's time for me to show her to her room, excuse us," snapped Ramses as he led her down another hallway. He led her down the long hall and stopped in front of a door. He pulled out the key, unlocked it, and opened the door. The room was fancily decorated with a bed, a table, a closet, and a desk. The wood on the furniture was beautiful, brown, and elaborately carved. The bed had red velvet covers with gold tassels and matching pillows. In all its grandeur it lacked windows.

Great, no windows? Neiko thought in desperation.

He let go of her arm and shoved her inside the room. "Stay put. I'll be back later," he said as he closed the door. She could hear the clank as he locked it, then she could hear his footfalls down the stone hall.

"Great, now what? How am I gonna get out of this one? No windows, locked doors, plenty of guards, gate and drawbridge, and moat to go with it. So I'm stuck here. My only chance is if Ramses leaves and goes somewhere. I may have to wait till the Attack Pack comes, but they don't know where this place is," she grumbled as she plopped on the bed. "Well, at least the bed's comfy. Nice prison," she said in dismay then she heard voices outside.

"The master wants you two to stand guard, and you will keep this extra key. She will not come out, unless he says so," said a commanding officer.

"Aye," they said in unison.

"Great, now I have guards," she fussed fiercely. "I guess he really wants me to stay." She covered herself with the blanket and went to sleep.