Chapter 12

On her way home Neiko kept thinking about what happened at the meeting. "Well, I'll wait for two weeks and see if they come up with anything. If they don't, I'll do a little of investigating of my own. What are you hiding, Francesco? Whatever it is, I'll find out," Neiko murmured to herself.

Neiko made it to her house, and her cousin's car pulled up into the yard. Neiko walked over to help Jessica get all of her things into her house.

Noticing the expression on Neiko's face, she asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I've just got a lot in my mind, that's all," Neiko replied casually.

"Emoc no, Adnama, s'tel og yalp htiw eht Attack Pack," Jessica said in Greyhawk.

"Yako, Acissej. So, you've been working on your Greyhawk?" Greyhawk was the language of Neiko's tribe. The Falcons discovered it as backward English after English speaking settlers introduced English to all tribes.

"Yep," she replied.

A few hours passed, and Neiko and Jessica decided to get a snack.

After they finished, they stayed and played with her sister Melissa, who was almost a year old. "I need to use the restroom, but I'll meet you in your room, and let's play video games," Jessica said.

"Alright, fine with me," Neiko replied. Neiko walked into her bedroom and put her finger on the light switch. Before she flicked it on, she noticed a red light out of the corner of her eye. Neiko looked a little closer seeing that they were two little eyes glowing, and she remembered that was where Ramses had been lying. She turned on the lights and saw him staring into space. She walked over and tapped him—plastic. She walked back and turned the lights off, and his eyes glowed like two tiny hot coals. Neiko turned the lights on.

The toilet flushed.

She turned the lights off—nothing. Then she put the lights on just before Jessica opened the door. Good one, Raven, Neiko thought. "So what do you want to play?" asked Neiko trying to get her mind off what happened.

"Let's play Donkey Kong 3," Jessica said, and after she did, Neiko felt a chill ran up her spine, and the back of her neck began to prickle. She had the terrible feeling that someone or something was in the room with them watching her. The chill intensified and she shuddered as goosebumps appeared on her arms. Neiko wrapped her arms around herself, and she rubbed her hands on her arms to get rid of the gooseflesh. "Are you okay?" asked Jessica.

"Yeah, I'm okay, just had a chill, that's all," Neiko replied casually. The chill ceased but the feeling didn't. Obviously she doesn't feel that we're being watched, and I better not mention it because she is scared of the dark, and she wouldn't go to sleep if I did, Neiko thought to herself. "Well, let's play, shall we? We don't have all night," Neiko said trying to sound cheerful and trying to hide the terrible fear in her soul.

A few hours passed, and Jessica wanted to play with the Attack Pack again. Neiko made Air Hammer say, "Things will get worse if Ramses showed up." After she said that, the feeling of being watched almost tripled, and Jessica made Ramses show up, and Neiko made Sonar say in his Transylvanian type dialect, "Oh no, it's the mean, ugly Chrome Pharaoh."

As soon as she said that, chills shot through her body and she dropped Sonar. "Uh, Jessica, I'm ready to go to bed, I'm tired," Neiko replied, shaking.

"Okay, but you were fine a minute ago," she said, and she noticed the fear in Neiko's eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Uh—yeah, I'm just...um—well—a little nervous about my Civics test Monday, and I'm really tired. I now just realized it, so can we go to bed?" Neiko fibbed.

"Well, okay, if you say so, Adnama," Jessica said.

Neiko got into the bed and pulled the covers over her head, but shecould feel the invisible intruder's eyes staring at her through the covers. Sheshuddered and fell asleep.