Chapter 55

Later that night she thought of the plan. "Now, all I gotta do is get this door open," she whispered to herself as she approached the door. She knocked on it to see if there was a guard. "Hello, is anyone out there?"

"What do you want?" he answered gruffly.

Her mind started going, and she found a brass pitcher. She grabbed it and answered, "I've gotta use the restroom," she said.

"I am not supposed to let you out because the First Pharaoh commands," he answered.

"Do you want me to make a mess and tell Ramses why?" she asked.

Then he started to unlock the door. "Alright, you get your wish," he said as he came in, but he didn't notice that she was hiding the pitcher behind her back. When he approached her, she struck like lightning, and hit him in his chin knocking him senseless. She dragged him in her room and took off the keys. She shut the door and locked it and tiptoed down the hall.

Yes! She thought as she sneaked into another hall. Two sentries walked past her, so she flattened herself against the wall and froze. When they turned down another hall, she sneaked into the throne room, which was lit by torches. Two guards walked in, and she hid behind the throne. They walked into the next room, and she slipped into the foyer and listened for any guards. She crept for the exit, but there were two guards by the door. She backed up and slipped into another room. This one had a window, and she ran to it and opened it. It squeaked as she opened it, and all of her muscles tensed at the sound as she froze. No one came around, so she climbed out of it and stole across the courtyard. She used the shadows to get a closer look to see if the drawbridge and gate were open, but they were closed, and the gatehouse was far away with sentry towers along the way and very little cover. She took a deep breath, and measured up her first dash. She sprang and sprinted noiselessly to a nearby bush. A long run across four towers lay ahead. Before she could go, a sneeze started to come into her nose. It burned and she took a deep breath, and it went away. As soon as she was about to make her run, it came and she sneezed so hard she hit the bush and it rustled.

A bell started to ring. "Prisoner is escaping!" one shouted as others were alerted. Skull Bearers came and ran into the yard. Wasting no time, she ran as fast as she could to the gatehouse. She made it, and she found the levers to the gate and drawbridge. She quickly pulled them. Before the gate barely opened she crawled under it, and the drawbridge slammed on the ground because she allowed too much slack. She quickly ran across it, but at the end were horsemen, the outside sentries, and the ones on the ramparts had their bows drawn. More came from behind, and she was surrounded. Her escape plan was thwarted, and she was intercepted. Two came and took hold of her, and a general swaggered to her.

"You just wait till the First Pharaoh hears about this, you little savage. Trying to escape from Skull Fort are you? Well, I have news for you, no one escapes and lives, and I wouldn't be surprised if he triples the security around here. This little escapade of yours will not go unpunished, even if you are his chosen one. Come and bring her, I believe First Pharaoh Ramses wants an explanation," he said then turned on his heel while her two captors brought her back into the throne room.

Ramses was waiting in the throne room with his hands on his hips looking at them. "What is this? Someone owes me an explanation! Explain this!" he fumed.

"The prisoner was trying to escape, Majesty, and we intercepted her at the drawbridge," replied the general.

His gaze fell on her, and she gulped. "You still haven't learned, have you? You will never leave this place—ever! Have I made myself perfectly clear? General, I want this place guarded well. Quadruple the guard around here, and step on it!" he shouted. The general bowed and left. Then the guard of her room came in with a swollen chin. "I thought I told you not let her out of her room, did I not?"

"She said she had to use the bathroom, and I thought you would be displeased—"

"You idiot! She was playing with you, you simple-minded fool! I'll fix this. There will be no guards by her door because I'll have the keys. Give them to me!" he said as he thrust his hand forward, and the frightened guard did as he was told. "Alright—memo—maim you after I take care of Neiko. The next mistake made by anyone will be death as punishment, and you better make that clear to the rest of the Imperial Guard! Get out of my sight, you worthless ignoramus!" he said as he cuffed the terrified Skull Bearer, and the guard ran away. "As for you, my flower, I'll ensure you'll never pull a stunt like this again! Bring me a chain, one that goes on arms and legs and are linked together, and give me the key."

A few minutes passed, and they brought him what he had asked for. They put the fetters on her wrists and ankles; they locked them with the key and handed it to him. Neiko had trouble moving because the chains were heavy, and she looked at them sadly as she held her arms in front of her. "I wouldn't have to put these on you if you wouldn't try to escape. This is your punishment. You will wear them at all times except when you are in my presence, alone. Now, let's go back to your room. You two, go back to your posts," he said as he grasped her arm and pulled her behind him. She stumbled because of the added weight, which made it difficult to walk. When they got to her room, he opened the door and shoved her inside. Neiko tripped on the chain, and toppled onto the floor. "I bid you good night. See you in the morning," he said then shut the door.

Neiko felt hopelessness well up inside of her, and she could not sleep. She stared at the door as she sat on the bed fingering her bonds as some of her spirit was broken. "I hope the Attack Pack can find me," she moaned as she bit her lip.

* * *

"The only place I can think of where it might be, is in one of the forests past the San Antari Grasslands," Phoenix said to his followers.

"Well, let's do it!" Bantor shouted. "She's counting on us!"

"Yeah, we're the only hope she has!" cried Sky Shadow, the lizard-dragonfly. Then all of the Attack Pack took flight as they started their trek to the Giant and Dark Forests. They flew days across the San Antari Grasslands before they spotted the Giant Forest.

"Air Hammer and I will circle over the woods at high altitude and see if we can find it from the air, and if not, we must approach it from the inside," Phoenix replied. "Remain here till we return," he said, and the pair shot up into the sky like arrows.

The two flew overhead, but they saw nothing but the green tops of the trees, and the divide of the Schism Canyon. "Well, Phoenix, I can't see anything but trees, and you and I have the best vision," Air Hammer replied.

"I know. The trees are so tall and thick that no one could see it from the air. If I figure correctly, Anubis probably built it in the Dark Forest because it could easily hide something that large. Let's go back and tell them," Phoenix said as he dove back down with Air Hammer closely behind him. They told them their strategy, and the entire Attack Pack wondered into the Giant Forest. They traveled at random as they tried to find a road. They found one and started to follow it. They trekked along it, and in the distance Phoenix spotted a bridge crawling with Skull Bearers.

"We don't need a bridge, but if they see us, then they'll tell them we're here, so let's kick their behinds because we can't go around; we can't lose the road," mused Ramulus, one of the rams.

"Yeah, let's do it!" said Sandstorm, and the Attack Pack let out all types of calls and charged at the bridge. Surprise and fear took the Skull Bearers as they saw an onslaught of maddened, attacking beasts. A small group was blocking the bridge.

Air Hammer dashed forward. "Hammer Head!" he called as he rammed into them with his hard hammered head felling several, some into the canyon. Scarem and Raptor followed him slicing and killing many. A large force began to come across the bridge.

"I'll handle this!" Cheetor yelled as he leaped in front. He fired his rocket and hit the bridge. The bridge exploded, and collapsed taking most of the force with it, while others were flying in the air from the explosion, but they all plummeted into the canyon. Seeing this, the rest tried to make a retreat, but the Attack Pack closed them in and did away with them.

"Onward!" Sandstorm pointed down the road with his scimitar, and they ran into the Dark Forest following the road to find the fortress and rescue their imprisoned friend.