Chapter 52

The next morning she woke up and checked her surroundings a little more. She walked to the mirror and fixed her headband and her hair. She found a small lamp close to the bed on a small table. She checked for any objects on the floor to pick the lock, but there were none. Escape was almost hopeless. The door started to unlock, and Ramses came in. "Good morning. Sleep well? Dad has breakfast. Come."

"Correction, he's not your dad," she corrected.

"That is something he'll never know. Now let's go," he said pulling her out in the hall. They walked into the dining hall where a long table was set up with food everywhere.

"Oh, yum. Food," she said as she sat down close to Osiris, and Ramses sat down right beside her. After she prayed to herself, she began to eat. Menes watched her as he ate. Ramses touched no food, but he watched her continuously. She kept glancing at them as she ate. Menes smiled slyly, but Ramses caught him and shot him daggers in warning. Ooh, I wonder, she thought. Osiris didn't even see the looks the two gave each other. Menes glared back at him wrathfully. I wonder if I could stir up something here, and why is Ramses looking at me weird? She thought as she also tried to think of a plan.

"Do you like your room?" asked Re.

"Yeah, beats staying in a dungeon," she said then drank her water.

"Really? It was my idea," said Menes.

"It was not! It was mine," snapped Tut.

"Mine nitwit!" Menes retorted back.

"It was neither of yours. It was my idea," Ramses thundered.

"Stay out of it, loony Pharaoh!" Menes said shaking his fist at him.

"What did you call me?" Ramses asked as he began to boil.

"You heard me unless you have too much chrome in your ears."

"Shut up, wet behind the ears!"

Neiko giggled at the intense fighting at the table between the three. "Don't take that, Menes! Let him have it!"

"Make me, Chrome Bucket!" Menes retorted.

Ramses looked at Neiko then at Menes wrathfully. "I will, you smelly guttersnipe!"

"You won't neither, chrome behind the ears!" Tut said in defense of Menes.

"You go, Tut!" Neiko said, trying to stoke the fire. Ramses became angrier, and Neiko knew something wasn't right; it wasn't the insults that did it.

"What's the matter? Jealous because she's taking up for me because she likes me better?" Menes said, taunting.

"I have no idea what you mean, you two stupid morons!" Ramses snapped indignantly.

"That is enough!" Osiris scolded. "Can we have one meal without the four of you fighting? I'm so weary of your endless bickering. Now, I want peace and quiet from here on out."

They nodded at each other but they kept glaring at each other. Neiko looked at each of them, and the great annoyance in each of their eyes, but death was written in the eyes of Ramses, especially when he looked at Menes. His eyes softened when his flaming eyes fell on her, and for the first time she looked into them in attempts to read them, but she could not decipher much for what she felt; she turned away and shuddered.

"Hmm, I wonder," she thought.

"When do you plan to go visit the Damonites, Ramses?" asked Osiris.