Chapter 40

The Skull Bearers ushered the bounty hunters into the throne room. "These are the bounty hunters you requested for, Master," replied one of them.

"Splendid. Now—have you told them about their mission and the reward?" asked Ramses.

"No, we left that for you," replied a Skull Bearer.

"Alright. As you know, I seek the renegade Neiko Kidd, and she has eluded me thus far, so I am asking you to bring her to me alive. No annihilation."

"As you wish," replied Armos, an armadillo.

"What about her companion, the Attack Pack scorpion?" asked Raker, a velociraptor.

"You may do as you wish, but I'd like him dead. You can use him for sport. I don't care how you do it, but bring me his head in a box wrapped in his tail, and I will reward you well with anything you desire as long you do my bidding to the letter. Understood?"

They bowed, turned, and left. As soon as they dispersed, Quicksilver came in. He had on steel armor that was silver. His breastplate had a skull carved on it and his shoulders had spikes on them. His arms and legs were bare except for wrist guards, and plates on his thighs and shins, and they had spikes on them too. His helmet had a part that covered his face to his nose and was shaped kind of like a skull. The top was covered in spikes and two horns coming out. His hands were protected by spiked handguards. "Have you summoned me?" he asked.

"Guards, leave us," Ramses said waving his hand, and everyone scurried out, leaving them alone to converse. "Did you take care of that little task for me?"

"Yes, Dark Lord, Silas the Ninja is dead just as you commanded," Quicksilver replied in his creepy, even toned voice.

"Now I have a new task for you. I want you to bring the outlaw to me alive. Do you know which I speak of?"

"Yeah, I know. Neiko is the one you seek, and what is your bidding for Quickstrike?"

"Kill him. Do it any way you like, but remember, I want Neiko alive. Understand?"

"Loud and clear; is it possible she could be dangerous to you and your secrets, the ones only I know?"

"Maybe not, but if she does know, then that is just another reason why I want her brought in quickly. I know you will not fail. Only return if you succeed, and if someone stops you, report to me, then I will get her myself and you will aid me if I desire. That will be all."

Quicksilver bowed. "I understand all, Dark Master. I shall return." He turned and left.

* * *

Several months had passed in the mountains, and the two were ready to start their journey. "Good luck to you both. I hope you will come back one day," MacPhearsome said as he shook her hand and gave her the letters.

"You know, I have a lot of visiting to do after I get out of this mess. Y'all aren't the only ones who want a visit," Neiko said, teasing.

"Good luck to you both," Talon said as she hugged Neiko. The two left the village waving back to the entire village as they watched them leave.

"You know, I kinda hate leaving them," Quickstrike said. "They were so kind."

"Yeah I know, but we've got a lot of work to do," she said as they walked on the road.

"Man, I can't believe you're so important. I wonder if Ramses saw this coming."

"I wouldn't think so, but I really am getting antsy about what he has waiting for me."