Chapter 31

A few days passed and the monsoon continued to let the rains fall. As Menes, Re, and Tut walked in to have a word with Ramses, they saw him looking at the picture. Menes quivered with rage. "Oh, come on in," Ramses said, barely noticing them, and he put the picture in his belt.

Menes eyed him contemptuously. "We gave out all the copies, and the general said he will launch the patrols and prepare the blockade when the rain stops," he said curtly, trying to control his growing wrath.

"Very good—well—nice work," he said, half-paying attention.

"Will we attack Tenev when the rain stops? I mean, the patrols will let us know if they see anything," Tut said, trying to get his attention.

"Yes, of course. I haven't forgotten. We will attack as soon as the rain stops," he replied not looking at him.

Menes was seething. "Are you paying any attention, Bro, or have you been at the tavern getting snockered like most of the Skull Bearers? Or have you even noticed? It seems you left your brain in your other helmet."

Ramses looked up and his eyes flashed. "I don't think I like your tone. You better watch your mouth. I have noticed, and why not let them have a little fun? It's not often they can celebrate our progress."

Menes looked at him like he was crazy. "Are you ill? You usually hit the roof when you hear stuff like this, and it sounds like you have been smoking stinkweed or joining them at the tavern. It's a zoo out there!"

"Do I have to explain myself every time? They will be ready. Tonight is their last night, and I will deal with them tomorrow, and I don't believe the rain will be letting up anytime in the next few days."

Menes laughed. "Okay, God, if you say so, and since when have you been playing The Almighty anyway?"

Ramses stood up. "Back down and shut up. It was only an educated guess. Don't call me God. I am not as knowledgeable as he is, and you know it. If you don't have anything else to report, then leave. I don't even want to argue with you; I have my mind on other matters," he said and turned around.

"Oh yeah, like Neiko Kidd," Menes said, slipping up. "I've been wondering what you are going to do with her when you catch her."

Ramses spun around and narrowed his eyes to flaming slits. "What did you say?" he asked angrily as he drew his dagger.

"Just asking. You don't have to get in a tizzy. I'm just curious," he said, putting his hands up in an innocent way.

Tut and Re winced as they saw the horrible glow in Ramses' eyes.

"What I have planned for her is none of your business!" he snapped coldly. "Why are you so interested in my plans and her all of a sudden? You better not be getting any ideas in that pea-sized brain of yours! Remember what curiosity did to the cat," he said as rubbed the blade in a harsh, subtle warning.

"Uh, Menes, maybe we should go and let him cool off," Re said nervously as he put his hand on his shoulder, but Menes wrenched free.

Menes was fuming, and he shook his finger at Ramses. "I'm not finished yet! What are you hiding, Ramses? What's the matter? Afraid I'll tell the whole army about your little schoolboy crush? Oh, I wonder what Neiko would think about that, and I'm just dying to let the entire Five Lands hear about it!" he yelled at him.

"I am not hiding anything! There is no crush! If you spread lies about me then you will be dying, even if you are my brother! So I would take Re's advice and go while the going's good," he said, trying to control his urge to throw the dagger.