Chapter 5

Neiko and her mom returned from the grocery store two hours later. "Amanda, help me get out the groceries and put them away," said her mom.

"Okay," Neiko replied casually, but she had a feeling of uncertainty.

"Is something wrong?"

"Uh—no, why?"

"I was just wondering. You sounded strange for a second there."

"I'm feeling a little tired. Grocery shopping always wears me out," Neiko said in a casual manner.

"I know what you mean."

After she finished putting away the groceries, she went around checking the house. I feel that someone's been here, she thought to herself, but she did not want to mention it to her mom. She found nothing suspicious in the rest of the house, so she went to her room. She checked the DSF files and logs, but nothing was missing. All of her other belongings were intact, and then she went to check the closet. "What's behind door number three?" she asked and pulled back the doors. All of her toys were in place. "Let's see if Monster Gas is still at home." She looked in the fortress, and Ramses was there. "Well, everything's still here, but I felt like somebody was here. Funny. I'll call Mongie and see if the meeting's still on." She pulled out the phone and dialed the numbers.

"Hello?" came Mongie's voice.

"Hey, Mongie, it's me Neiko. I was calling to see if the meeting is still on."

"Yes it is. Don't tell me you're playing hooky again. Sigma told me he isn't taking any more rain checks on his surprise for you."

"Relax, will ya? I'm not skipping; I am making sure it isn't cancelled or nothing."

"Well, okay. Just checking. Nothing's been changed, so I'll see you there?"

"Yep. I'll be at the oak in a jiffy."

                                                                                               * * *

"Alright, everyone, the meeting is now in session," Xartna said to get the meeting underway. Everyone stopped their conversations and quickly sat down. "I'm glad everyone made it, and Captain Kidd is here with us. I'm so glad you could make it." Xartna was a wiry but strong man, and he had long, black hair and green eyes. His light tan skin, like that of his identical twin brother Aquila, shone in the sun. He was a member of Neiko's tribe and served in the chieftain council.

"No problemo," she replied in a Spanish accent. Laughter and applause filled the air.

"Well, thanks for the laugh, Neiko, now down to business. Item one, what is the report the scouts have found on the Crackedskulls?"

"Nothing, sir, the Sparra Scouts said the Crackedskulls are not mobilizing, and they aren't doing anything," replied Wolverine, the Sparra lieutenant.

Everything was presented in twenty minutes. "Boy, that was a short meeting," Neiko said.

"I know," Monganata replied, "This was the shortest one all year, and they all really have been quite boring, and no debates have been brought up. Sometimes I wonder what Raven is up to."

"Why haven't we adjourned yet? We covered everything from A to Z. What else is there?"

Xartna approached the stand. "Sorry, everyone, for the delay, but Sigma has a few additional words to say. Give him your undivided attention."

Sigma approached the stand. Sigma was a large, brawny man with long, shiny black hair. He had extremely dark skin and chocolate brown eyes that were filled with kindness. He was Monchiska's father and the chief of the Scraah Wareagles. "Thank you everyone for being patient; this won't take but a few minutes of your time, but I assure you it is worthwhile. I would like to ask Captain Kidd to come forward please."

Silence filled the air. Neiko eyed the others like a student caught talking in class. She slowly arose and approached the front. Francesco eyed her contemptuously. Once Neiko came to the front, Sigma told her to face the audience.

"Well everyone, I have something I wish to present to our loyal friend Captain Neiko Kidd," Sigma replied as he pulled out a wrapped object out of his pocket, and Neiko eyed it unknowingly. "Now, on behalf of all of the chieftains and all of the Seven Tribes of the Land of Hawote, I ask you Captain Neiko Kidd, to accept a new title and responsibility. We grant you the position of Admiral of the Desert Storm Falcons. Do you accept?"

Neiko's eyes filled up with tears and she blinked. "Well, shoot yeah, I accept."

Immediately the crowd shouted and clapped. Sigma handed her the object, and she unwrapped it. The object was a badge. It had a bird's foot—which was the symbol of the DSF—three bars, and Admiral Neiko Kidd engraved on it. "This is the badge you will wear to show your new rank. This has three bars instead of two to show you are admiral and not captain. Congratulations."

Sigma pinned the badge on her shirt, and hugged her. Puma, Windsong, and Monganata followed suit. Wolverine gave her high five. The crowd began to chant. "Speech! Speech!"

Neiko stepped up to the podium. "Alright, I'll give you a speech. Thank you everyone for this honor, and thank you, Sigma, for embarrassing the daylights out of me."

The crowd laughed.

"Well, I really appreciate this, and I feel honored in being the first and only admiral in history of the DSF. This decoration is really magnificent. I can see that y'all had plenty of planning time out of all the times I've played hooky, and I'm surprised you picked me after that same reason."

The crowd laughed.

Sigma shouted, "You're the best woman for the job."

Neiko laughed. "Well, who will be captain? We have a vacancy, and it's a very important rank, so who do you have in line?"

"That I left for the admiral to decide. It's your call, unless you want us to do it," Sigma replied.

"Well, I'm getting all important now. I've always had this person in mind just in case I was ever captured. An officer has to have this in mind, so he'll be our new captain."

"And who gets this honor, Admiral?" Sigma asked.

"Aquila, stand up and look beautiful." Aquila, Xartna's twin brother who was a good trustworthy warrior, stood up and looked at Neiko shocked. Neiko went on, "As you all know, Aquila is my most trusted friend, a good officer, and trustworthy. Do you have any objections, and do you accept, Aquila?"

"I accept," Aquila announced boldly. No one objected; everyone cheered and gave him slaps on the back.

"Meeting's adjourned, let's all go home," Neiko replied.

Everyone shouted and Neiko found herself in the mob. Francesco left the yard, and burned with anger, dread, and disbelief. "This is not good, and I must tell Raven immediately!"