Chapter 34

Late that night, two Skull Bearer officers walked into Ramses's cabin, took off their bullhorn helmets, and bowed. "Ah, what do you have for me? Any luck?" he asked folding his hands on the the desk.

"Uh, there are five dead Skull Bearers, Majesty. Two at Bronto's Tavern, and three were found in the ditch on Tatowee Road about five miles south of Tenev. The ones at Bronto's Tavern have been dead for a week, but the ones on the road were only dead for only a few hours when we found them," said the lieutenant as he toyed with his beetle antennae on his helmet.

Ramses rolled his eyes. "You bring me bad news? What were the causes of death?"

"The ones at the tavern died of a dagger wound to the neck, and the other was killed by Bronto as he defended a girl, so I guess the girl killed the other. They were stripped of their daggers and one sword," replied the captain.

Ramses looked up in surprise. "Go on."

"Well, one of ones on the road died of an arrow in the stomach; another died of a sword wound to the side; the third was blinded by venom, and had a purple snake bite on his face. One of their nets was torn like they caught something. There was a sword drawn, and it was the one that was bitten," replied the captain.

"Aha! That's them! Nice work. It seems to me that one of them trapped Neiko, and Quickstrike saved her again!" He slammed his fist on the desk. "Drat! That stupid scorpion is more trouble than he is worth! Well, at least I found their trail. I want them both brought to me. Neiko Kidd is an extremely talented warrior, and she will fight you with everything she's got—tooth and nail if need be, and she is like a wild beast. To ensure their capture, get a company of fifty or more and attack them in teams. I will take the pleasure in killing Quickstrike, and Neiko will watch," he said with cruel pleasure. "Make sure they are unharmed."

"What will you do with Neiko? Kill her?" asked the lieutenant.

"No, what I've planned to do ever since I saw her the first time," he said as his eyes flashed in evil delight. "Dismissed!" he said, waving his hand. The two bowed and left. They put on their helmets and gathered seventy Skull Bearers and horses, and rode out that night.

* * *

Neiko and Quickstrike woke up the next morning refreshed. Waving and thanking Genghis Khan, they walked down the road toward Samoan territory. "How are you feeling about all we talked about last night? Still pessimistic?" asked Quickstrike.

"No. I feel better knowing who I'm dealing with, and nothing will take me by surprise—" suddenly a branch snapped and Skull Bearers on horses ran out from the side. "Run!" Neiko screamed as she saw more coming from behind. They ran about ten feet as more came in front and from the other side, closing them in.

"Oh great, we're trapped! We can kill three, but not thirty!" Quickstrike whimpered.

"Try seventy!" Neiko corrected.

"How can you count that fast?"

"Believe me—lucky guess. I've been in situations like this, but this time the Seven Tribes aren't here to save me!"

The lieutenant rode up. "That's them! Capture them!" he commanded. They closed in the circle as Neiko drew her sword and tomahawk; Quickstrike got his tail ready to spray, and they got close to each other. Twenty jumped off their horses, drew their weapons, and walked toward them while the other fifty kept them surrounded, not letting them escape.

Neiko let loose a shrill war call as she brandished her weapons. Neiko struck at the nearest Skull Bearer with her tomahawk, but he fended off the attack with his shield. One grabbed her from behind and pulled her arms behind her back, while two more disarmed her . She struggled, but the other two came and helped hold her, while a fourth came with a rope and gag. First he tied her hands behind her back, then tied her arms down and gagged her. She fell to the ground, and they rushed to help trap Quickstrike.