Chapter 39

A few days passed and Neiko was feeling refreshed; she got up and got dressed. "It's nice to feel like me again," she said to Talon.

Talon smiled. "I'm glad to know you're feeling better. Are you ready to meet with the king today?"

"I guess so. Why is he so anxious to meet with me?"

Talon shrugged. "I wished I knew. Who knows, he may even have the answers to all of your struggles, and he wants to help you find your way home."

"How's Quickstrike?"

"He's fine. His tail hurts, and he is quite tired, but by the time you leave he'll be as good as new. Oh, he won't be coming with you tonight."

"Oh well, at least he'll be fit when I'll need him; he has got me out of jams several times," Neiko said as she put on her headband.

"Well, I'm glad y'all use good teamwork. What is that symbol on your forehead on your headband?"

"Oh, it's a falcon, and it's one of the symbols of my tribe," Neiko replied pointing to the white beaded bird that stretched its wings over her forehead.

Talon gasped. "Could it be? No, no. MacPhearsome knows about it more than I do, and I don't need to fill your head about wild, crazy stories."

"What? Aw, c'mon, tell me. It seems lately that the imaginary is real and terrible."

"You can ask the king; he's a big expert on many of these old tales, and you can pump him for all of them because they may help you in your struggle against Ramses."

The door opened and Warbeak came in. "Well, it's time. Let's go, Neiko, and you can come too, dear."

* * *

The three came to the small castle of the king, and the friendly guards greeted them, led them into the throne room. MacPhearsome walked in and sat down. He was a large bald eagle man in purple and gold robes with a small crown on his head. "Well, now, I'm glad to see you feel well. Have a seat, we have much to discuss, lass," he said in a heavy High Alpine dialect.

"That we do, Great King, and I wish to ask about all of the tales you know," Neiko said bowing her head.

MacPhearsome smiled. "You don't have to use that title with me, but first things first. I promise we will get to the tales later, and I guess Talon told you I know a lot about them, I reckon."

"Yeah, and she said they may help me," Neiko said politely.

MacPhearsome held up his hand. "That they might. I know you are running from Ramses and you were taken from your homeland, Hawote, and how I know you wish to return because you fear the worst from your enemies there. You came a long way to avoid your pursuer, and I am aware he has set many traps for you."

"Do you know how I may get home?" Neiko asked.

"I'm not sure, but you may ask our brethren, the Hawks, who live near Cougan's Bluff. They have a secret, and it may be a way, but don't bank on it."

"Do you know how I can get out of the mountains?"

"You should have taken the right fork, but the Almighty has sent you here for a reason and in our care. We know of the terrible secret you carry about Ramses, and no one else must know, especially him. Do you know why he's chasing you all over the tarnation?"

"Nope. I know I can't go back. What's at the end of this road, and is there anyone else that can help me?"

MacPhearsome rubbed his beak. "Yes there is. Our other brethren, the Falcons, are there on the road as you exit the mountains. They can help you, and you can go there for lodging and food. I will send word to King Greytail that you are coming, and there will be no doubt you will make it. I will tell him you aren't just another one of those pesky treasure hunters, yet I have no idea what's up there. We don't go that far because of unknown perils like the giant grizzly, wolves, and alike."