Chapter 56

The next morning Neiko came in to eat breakfast with everyone. She walked in front of Ramses in her shackles with a gloomy look on her face, and they looked at her wryly. She sat down in her usual spot and said nothing the entire time. "What's the matter, cat got your tongue?" Menes asked trying to pick conversation, but Neiko wouldn't look at him or answer. She just ate her food and stared at the table.

"Aww, c'mon, I miss your insults this morning; aren't you gonna call me by my whole name?" asked Tut.

She looked at him with pain-filled eyes but said nothing.

"Shut up all of you! She has a punishment to think about, and a truth to accept," Ramses said happily.

"You're awfully chipper this morning, and you haven't been that way in years," Osiris said looking at him.

"Why shouldn't I be? I've got everything I want, and I just stopped her from escaping. I have made it clear she can never escape or outwit me for long, and now it's over."

"Well, you have made me proud, son," Osiris said, but the praise didn't appeal to him.

"Well, I want to spend time alone with my bride-to-be. Excuse us," he said taking her by the hand and left. He took her into a lounge room and shut the door. Neiko looked around half-heartedly. "You can take those off," he said waiving his first finger; her bands unlocked and fell off.

"Why do you need a key if you can do that," she snapped irritably.

"You know why."

"Why don't you stop pretending that you're something you're not, like mimicking Pharaohs," she said kicking her chains contemptuously.

"Mimicking?" he laughed. "All pharaohs are a mimic of me. These of Qari and of Egypt are all wannabes of me. They are somewhat different than I am, especially the Egyptian ones. They dress like me, rule like me, and want to be more like me. The ones of Qari conquer and force like I do. The ones of Egypt do as well, but they want to be an immortal god like me, but not till after death. They rule mortals, but they are mortals themselves, and they make rules to make themselves in my likeness with laws alone. I show my divinity with my might and power. Although those from Egypt say they are sons of the sun and do not know The Almighty, they worship gods that do not exist! I am the only true Pharaoh, and I am not the Bright Morning Star, or the Son of the Sun, or any of those ridiculous titles and protocol. I am the Setting Sun, the Black Nemesis, and many others. That spoiled palace brat you mentioned one time before even mocks me by trying to be merciless like me, but he isn't capable of even handling things himself! He has to have armies to back him up, but I don't! I can do everything without them. They are of no use to me."

Neiko cocked an eyebrow. "The only Pharaoh? I think not. What about the Good Pharaohs? Pharaohs are not supposed to be gods under God, but guardians of good. That's what makes you the Dark Pharaoh, then huh?"

"Exactly. I did away with them long ago, even before The Almighty created Earth! I can remember one distinctly, the one I hate most. His name was Sesmar Repsis-Bijou, but he is out of the picture with all of my goody-goody brethren. I have only one sister, but she is only one day younger than I, and I don't know where she is. No more talk about this," he said as he took her hand and sat on the couch.

Suddenly Quicksilver ran in without knocking. "I have terrible news!"

Ramses looked at him with great annoyance. "You better have a good reason for this intrusion! This had better have profound value."

Quicksilver shook his head. "This cannot wait, Dark Lord. I don't know how much time you have till—"

"Out with it!" he snarled.