Chapter 78 Remembered

“A whispered secret calls to me, its voice, it beckons close to me, shall I leave and hear it’s will or shall I close my eyes and be still,” Tash07

            I was running, running through a house. I jumped into a small space and then felt the cool night’s wind against my arm. My feet led me across a yard and towards a clump of trees; I turned back in time to see a streak of white. I ran on, my feet hurt but I had to move had to get away from him. The dream shifted and I felt a pain as my back connected with a tree. I screamed out in agony and then felt the pain rolling through my body. The grey wolf stood there, it was him, biting, scratching,and tearing at me. I lifted my arm and then my eyes opened. I sat up in my bed and reached up to my chest, it felt tight somehow. I sank back on my pillows and closed my eyes. That was probably the craziest dream I had, had so far. I sighed and turned trying to fall back to sleep but my eyes would not close.

            I got up and looked around my room. If I could not sleep I might as well do something. My eyes were drawn to a suitcase on the floor. I did not remember carrying it anywhere. I walked to it and kneeled down before opening the zip. There were clothes in it, my clothes. I shuffled through it and my hand landed on a pair of trousers. I picked it up and ran my hands through it, I remembered something. I tried to recall what it was but nothing came to me. I took out the clothes and packed them away in my closet. I was almost to the bottom when I lifted out a short black dress. My eyes roved over it and then I sank onto the floor. I remembered Erid and I had gone to some fast-food place and I had to wear it but there was something else. I closed my eyes and tried to remember. I had to go somewhere with Erid, I had to help him with something.

            I shifted through the rest of the clothes and then sighed maybe I would ask him tomorrow. I closed the suitcase and then lay back on the bed, a while after I was asleep. I awoke the next morning and took a quick bath, brushed my teeth and pulled on a pair of slacks and a tee shirt. The smell of pancakes wafted up to me and I knew that Erid was here. I met him in the kitchen and sure enough he was there. He placed a plate in front of me and at once I remembered, this had happened before. “A five year old’s breakfast,” I thought. He sat down with a cup of coffee and looked at me. Before he could talk I spoke. “Erid I need to ask you something,” I said. He nodded. “I remember that you came here and we left but where did we go?” I asked. “You helped me in an investigation,” he said. “Where was that?” I asked. “I can’t remember,” he said. I looked up from my plate. “He’s lying,” I thought. He was a special detective how could he forget that.

            I shrugged and continued my breakfast. He left right after and I sat musing at the table. Something was amiss, he was not telling me. I made my way to the living room with the intention of cleaning it. I swept it and the started to arrange the table. My hand stooped when I saw a picture of my father. I took it up and looked at it. He was standing in dust caked boots and had a tool in his hand. “Dad?” I thought. The picture stayed in my mind until I got up and started for the stairs. Whatever we had gone to investigate, dad was there. “No,” I thought, “Dad’s gone.” I pulled off my clothes and pulled on a blue cotton dress and my jacket. I would go see him. I called for a taxi and sat on my bed pondering what I had just discovered.

            When I finally arrived at the cemetery it was around lunch. I stepped up the path to dad’s tombstone and then kneeled in front of it. My hand’s reached out and touched the marble surface. “I was here before,” I thought. I gazed at the surface before finally speaking. “I missed you dad,” I said, “It’s been so long that I actually thought you were alive. I stood up and sighed. I stayed there looking on and then turned and began to walk out of the cemetery. When I arrived home I took a bath and then stared at myself in the mirror. The cuts were healing and I still had some bruises. I sighed and then my hand shot up to my neck where two barely visible marks lay. I stepped back as a flood of memories raced through my mind. Ruins, symbols, coffins, disappearances, Erid, Ambrogio, dad,” I gasped and sank to the floor. Everything came at me so fast that for a moment I gasped out.

            When the memories had faded to the back of my mind I shook my head and looked up. “If I told anyone they would think I was crazy, I mean a vampire after me for my blood but then I remembered the artifact and how the museum had blamed dad for it.” I know I was there and this proves it,” I thought as my hand reached for the marks at my neck. “Caith,” someone called. I gasped. “Where are you?” he called out. I took a breath and then stood up.”Erid had to know what happened,” I thought but from his answer this morning he seemed reluctant to tell me. If I had to find out about it I would. I opened the door and came face to face with him. “Hey,” he said. I smiled and he pulled me close. “Don’t you want dinner?” he asked. “I made some chili earlier, it’s on the stove,” I said. “Sounds great,” he said and then I noticed what he was doing. He kept leaning down. “What are you doing?” I asked. He smirked. “You didn’t seem particularly wanting of a kiss when I stepped in,” He said. “Sorry it’s just that I’m busy,” I said. His eyes widened but he let me go.

            I stepped back and then sat down on my bed. He came up beside me and plopped down. “Hey is every thing ok?” He asked. I looked up and smiled. “Yeah just some crazy dreams that’s all,” I said. His hand encircled my shoulders and I leaned into him. “I think I’ll stay tonight,” He said. My eyebrows went up. “You never stayed before,” I said. He smiled but did not say anything. We went down for dinner after and stayed up watching TV. My mind was so preoccupied that Erid was doing all of the watching and I thinking. I got up after he had fallen asleep again, typical and made my way up the stairs. I turned on my computer and went straight for the Google icon. In seconds I had it up on my screen. I took a breath and then typed in the words, Sanctuary and then Sanctuary church. Within seconds there were results. I scrolled through them looking for pictures that I could recognize. My eyes almost popped out when I finally saw one that seemed to call out to me. I clicked on it and then waited as information about it came up. I scrolled down and then looked at a map. It was located in Death Valley, a familiar name. I printed out the map and then almost jumped when I heard a voice behind me.

            “You left me downstairs,’ he said. I turned and smiled. “Sorry I just had to do something for work,” I said. He nodded and came into the room; I minimized the screen as he sat on the bed. “I’m done,” I said. “Great we can sleep,” he said. My eyes narrowed at him. “Um you’re sleeping downstairs,” I said. He chuckled and rose to meet me. “Honey I’m your boyfriend surely I get some privileges,” he said. “Erid,” I said and raised my hands and flapped it. His smiled disappeared. “I probably looked like a little unwrapped mummy. “Ok, I’ll sleep on the couch,” he said but as I came forward he lounged for me and I fell onto the bed. “You pig!” I cried and he laughed as he held me there. “I’ll sleep on the couch for now,” he said and then released my hand I turned around and stared as he winked and left the room.