Chapter 42 Alpha's Call

Erid drove on and only stopped until he had reached the site. It was dark now and he should be careful. He ambled out of the car and took a deep breath. They were here alright it was only a matter of moments. He stepped forward and looked at the ruins. Sand had somehow covered part of the entrance now, it must have been one of those sand storms. He looked at the arch which now gazed at him with a looming shadow and then walked forward till he was beneath it. The air was dry and hot as he walked by. He entered the arch and then walked on. He had caught their scent amongst others but he was drawn to only one, Caith. He moved silently along the passage knowing exactly where he was going. He stopped before he reached the first room and then took a big step. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked around.

            The boxes were there and so was a jacket on the ground. He walked in, drawn to the jacket. Before he even reached it he knew something was wrong. His eyes darted around and then a savage cry was heard. Something was flung against him and he crashed against the wall. He grunted ad tried to get up. Something clawed at him, tearing into his skin. He screamed and rolled over. A thin figure pinioned him against the floor and dug at his chest. His hands reached out and tried to push it away. The figure screamed and a head snapped back. Erid gazed in shock as a petite woman with blonde hair stared at him, her fangs drawn and saliva dripping down her teeth. He pushed against her and scrambled back.

            Before he could even stand up she was on top him again, reaching for his neck. He kicked out and with his free hand pulled at her hair. She screamed and then tore at his hands. He held her there and then in one swivel motion jerked her head back. She screamed. Erid thrust her back against the wall and she crumbled to the floor. He got up and stared at her. She was the second vamp he had seen, something was definitely up. He scanned the room and then a laugh erupted. There was a rustle and then footsteps. Erid turned on his heels and followed the sound. His feet led him past the walls with the painted symbols and into a darkened room. He rushed in and stared around. It was pitch black here, not even the moon’s rays reached in. He closed his eyes and inhaled, something was here.

            “Where are you show yourself!” he cried. There was silence. “Show yourself!” he cried again. Before he could even register what was happening. A dozen indistinct sounds filled the room. He cupped his ears and turned looking but not seeing a thing. Something grabbed at him. He growled and kicked out, nothing. “You will be sorry Raul!” A voice said. “You coward!” Erid cried. There was a laugh and then something came at him, trapping him against the floor. He struggled and then hit out. Something scraped against his neck, a small trickle descended and then he felt the shadow lick it. His eyes widened and then he felt it. A deep sensation that travelled from his chest and throughout his body, a rush of heat. A rush of fur crept up his chest and arms and he kicked out. The phantom figure was thrown against a wall but more shadows came closer. His wolf turned and looked; everywhere he looked he could smell them in the darkness. “How could there be so much. He lifted his head and howled, howled the call to his pack, the call to come to their alpha’s aid.