Chapter 1 Her Calling

The chilly winds bit into my skin as I drove towards my apartment. The moonlight spilled onto the road causing several shadows to leap out at me. I pulled into the driveway and finally came upon my apartment. A small structure dressed in the night’s dimness with a more than overgrown lawn embellishing the front. It wasn’t much but I could still count on it as shelter. I gazed out into the darkness alert, looking for any hint of danger. A shadow moved on the stairs. Instantly my eyes were upon it. It stopped. I tried to trace an outline of a pursuer but only the gnarled branches of a tree caught my eyes. I breathed in and then cut the engine. I ambled out of my SUV and looking around again descended towards the door. The night wind was cool with a tinge of moisture pervading the air. Reaching out from below the lamp on the porch I unlocked the door and strode into the room.

                I tossed the keys on the mantelpiece and hurried to my room. The air was stuffy with a cloying scent. “How long has it been since I opened the windows?” I asked myself. I shrugged off my coat and flat boots followed by my pants suit. My body felt relieved of a burden. I stepped into the shower and turned on the cold water. Instantly my body recoiled. I took a deep breath and then resumed my bath. I always loved cold showers but I could just never get accustomed to the shock. I always felt rejuvenated after. I let the water trickle down my body awakening every nerve ending. As the cold spray washed over me I visualized sand flowing through my toes. “Oh it will be so darn good to get out of that evidence room and on to my vacation,” I thought. After I felt refreshed I stepped out. I bundled into my towel and entered my bedroom. The cloying scent was stronger here. “Geez I need to do something about this place,” I thought to myself.

I was just about to shrug out of my towel when a sound was heard. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” a deep, rich voice said. I clasped the towel to my body and whirled around. “Erid!” I screamed. He lay on the bed legs crossed emphasizing his boots. His graphite black hair fell onto his shoulders framing his hazel brown eyes. A leather jacket bounded his arms. He smirked when he saw my reaction. “How long have you been here?” I asked. “Oh come now Hon don’t tell me you didn’t notice my cologne,” He said. “Oh,” she said, “I was just trying to convince myself that it was this musty old house.” His smirk dropped. “Hey do you really hate me so much?” He asked. I looked at him and smirked, “With all my heart.” I replied. He smiled and tossed a pillow at me. I ducked in time and suddenly became aware of my appearance. I blushed scarlet. He grinned. “So why are you here?” I asked.

                He looked at me as if searching for an answer. “Can’t a dear friend pay a visit,” He enquired. “Dear friend indeed,” I replied, “You know as much as I do that dear friends such as you do not pay a visit to anyone so what’s up?” He smiled seeming impressed, “Hon you know me too well, I’ll leave you to um change and then we’ll talk k.” I shook my head as he left the room. I quickly changed into a cotton dress all the while thinking what type of business would a detective have with an archeologist. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and went outside. I met Erid in the hall and we proceeded to the living room. Eridian Northheimer was a special detective, special in what I have no idea. He does not dress in any thing I have seen other detectives ware. He does not have the detective look by that I mean the Sherlock Holmes’ look.  I had met detective Eridian many moons ago in one of his cases. It was not a big issue but I did help him with part of the evidence work.

                We sat down and I looked towards him. He looked up at me and smiled. “Gosh can you give up the smiling and tell me already!” I exclaimed. His smile widened and he began,” I couldn’t help it, he said, “Well any way I got a new case.” I gazed at him waiting for him to continue when he didn’t I looked up. “And….,” I said. He grinned and said,” This is the part where you ask how this has anything to do with you,” He said. I gazed at him and then sheepishly asked, “How is this related to me?” He smiled contentedly and then spoke,” It seems that the case involves a haunted building you know one of those creepy looking kind of ancient temples where they used to do sacrifices from, the ones that you love to uncover.” He was egging me on waiting for me to grab the bait. I did.  “Where is it?” I asked. He took a moment to stare at the effect of his words and then continued.

                “It is located Death Valley California do you know the area? He asked. “I’m sorry I heard quite a bit about it though, they say dust whirlwinds are quite frequent in those areas,” I said. He nodded. “Right hon the thing is lately some archeologists have discovered some sort of ruined temple down there, problem is as soon as they opened the entrance one of those dust storms blew up, ““How strange,” I said. “Same thing I said hon,” He replied,” The stranger thing is the storm lasted for more than an hour however all the archeologists had been sheltered however when the storm abated one of them was gone.” “What?” I cried. “You heard me,” He said,” Gone, vanished into thin air stranger yet is that after this incident there have been numerous reports of missing persons in the area.” He stopped and looked at me. “But I’m not a detective I can’t help you find the missing people, “I said. He sighed and stared at me. “You’re good with old stuff I’ve seen you countless times,” He replied. “You think that this temple or ruins is the cause of these missing persons?” I asked. He nodded his head.

                “I don’t know,” I said, “You know that I’m supposed to go away for some time,” I said. He shook his head and looked at me pleading with his eyes. “Think about those people and what this is doing to their families,” He said, “Your vacation could wait a while longer.” I sighed. The thought of my vacation came to my mind. I would be on the beach the feeling of sand between my toes and a glass of ice cold lemonade would be in my hand.”Caith,” He said. At once all my thoughts subsided. I sighed again. “I’ll help,” I replied. He grinned and I was grasped in a hug. “What the heck!” I thought. “He had never embraced me before” Things must be worst that I thought,” I said to myself. He stayed for a while and then left. I sat stunned on the couch thinking about what had just happened. “Well it’s back to work for me, I thought and sighed.