Chapter 58 Disappeared

“Confused I stand staring at the place where you left me and then came back,” Tash07

            I awoke early the next morning since sleep seemed a very hard thing to get. I crawled out of bed, showered, changed and then had a quick bite before getting in my car and driving off for work. Sure a nights rest did me good but that dream. “Uhhh,” I thought. I pulled into the parking lot and got out. It might be one of those days. Max stumbled into me and his eyes went wide. “Hey didn’t you hear?” he asked. “What?” I said. “That bottle you had yesterday, the one with the white crystals, I came in this morning and thought I’d run the tests on it but I could not find it,” He finished. “What!” I cried. I pushed past him and made my way to the evidence room. I moved past two policemen and then entered the room. Jim, the chief was there. “What’s going on?” I cried. He looked at me with tired eyes and shook his head. “Evidence gone missing,” He muttered. I stared at the room, it was a mess, boxes and files were strewn across the floor, it could take months just to sort out everything and then put them back in their correct location.

            My eyes widened just staring at the mess. “Listen Caith, I need you to tell me what you did before you left yesterday,” The chief said. I looked up at him, at his ruffled black hair and his twitching moustache. “Why?” I said. He sighed, “I trust you Caith I just need a statement.” I nodded and told him about the tests I had tried to run before I had placed the bottle I here and then left Max to close up. He nodded patiently and then thanked me before moving away. I looked on as his back disappeared and then sighed. “ I really had my work cut out for me this time,” I thought, “Atleast I could keep my mind off other things.” I pulled out a new pair of gloves and drew them on before stepping into the room.

            I worked on the files first removing all of them and then sorting them out into their correct cabinets. The evidence came next, Thank Heavens that whoever rampaged through the room had not taken them out of their bags or I might have cried. Max helped me till we reached lunch and then we slumped back. It was truly a tiring job. I sat back and waited for him to return with our lunch, it was going to be a burger and a coffee, there was no time for a nice meal today. I shuffled through some more files and then sighed and settled back. “I thought I’d find you here,” A voice said. I spun around and my eyes widened. “Erid,” I said curtly. He smiled and made his way over to me. I stumbled back and hit the side of the table. “Aww,” I choked.

            I looked up at him, the scene from yesterday replaying itself in my mind, his eyes looked normal enough. I smiled a wan smile and waited for him to continue. He sighed and looked at me. “I don’t know what came over me yesterday,” He began, “I nodded slowly. “I… He trailed off. I looked up to see him staring at my face. “I know I’m sorry to…”My words fell short as his hand reached for my face. I flinched back and hit the table again. Before I could register what was happening he was lifting my chin. “No!” I thought as his mouth covered mines. I pushed against him but he was like a huge rock. His hands reached out and held back mines. “This is wrong!” I thought. I wanted to scream but he kept pushing me.

            There was a knock at the door and we broke apart. “Hmm, I think we have enough evidence at the moment to clear up, we don’t want any more to get tangled up here right,” Max said. Erid released my hands and stepped back with a confused look on his face. I stared at him, as the last bit of orange dissipated from his eyes and stepped back. I bumped into the table and just sighed. Erid took one look at me and then muttered something before going out the door. Max stepped in as he exited and smiled. “What?” I asked. “Do you still want lunch after you know what,” He said. “Perv,” I muttered and grabbed a burger bag and a coffee. He laughed and lid in a chair next to me.