Chapter 56 Dazed

“Your pain still rings out

I feel it in my veins

A tiny word

I utter

But all in vain

Confused and distraught

I stumble on

Looking for answers

Seeking your thoughts,” Tash07

            The lab was full of policemen and detectives. “Uhhh,” I thought and grabbed a zipped up bag of evidence. Apparently the police had gotten a huge drug bust of some kind and of course the evidence room was full of action. “Miller, Henry will you get out of my lab!” I cried for the fifth time. They had set down the evidence and were now looking at it like if it was some sort of magical artifact. They finally took one look at me and left. I took a seat on my stool and pawed through the evidence, not much really but with these cops you could expect to hear about the biggest drug bust on the news. I singled out a zipped up bag and took out a glass bottle of what appeared to be some sort of white crystalline solid. I shook it and gasped as some flew out the top. “Who the heck put drugs in a shaker?” I thought. Some of the crystals fell on my clothes and began to smoke. I screamed as tiny wisps of white smoke seemed to float up from them and then a sudden feeling of nausea struck me. I clung to the table and held on. It lasted for a moment and then it was gone.

            I set down the bottle and ripped off my lab coat. There were no holes or anything left that could confirm that the crystals did indeed smoke. I looked at the bottle and took it back. “Whatever it was it was no drug I ever came across,” I thought. Before I could take a sample, my assistant Max came running in. “Caithy what happened?” He cried. “It’s nothing,” I said. He eyed me suspiciously and then came forward. “What’s that?” He asked and pointed to the bottle. “I have no idea,” I said, “It looks like some new drug I still have to analyze it though.” He nodded and then smoothed back his ruffled blonde hair. “Well when you’re done I’ll close up,” He said. I nodded and he left.

            I took a small sample and ran some tests on it. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. One thing I did learn from it was that I could not keep too close to it and I found out that right after I ran it through the microscope. The crystals would barely stay on the slide and when I tried to put it down it seemed to evaporate into thin air. I took a deep breath and almost choked. This was definitely weird and if I stayed any longer I think I would become an addict. I coughed and took a sample before storing the bottle in the evidence room. It was a long night and all I wanted now was a warm bath and some clean clothes. I left Max to close up and made my way to the parking lot. It was really dark out and the moon seemed to look down at me as I moved towards my car.

            I got in and started the engine before driving off. Work seemed really occupying now and then there was that drug. I took a deep breath and continued on. I arrived at my apartment and got out. The moon was higher in the sky now; its silver rays fell on me making me feel safer somehow. My legs led me across the small patch of grass and towards the door. “Caith,” A voice called. I screamed and reached for the key under the pot. I scrambled for a moment before something landed on my back. “NO!” I cried. I pushed the key looking for the lock in the darkness. I almost had it when the key fell with a jingle on the ground. I inhaled and closed my eyes. “Caith,” The voice called again. I turned around slowly and opened my eyes.

            There he stood in front of me just like the day I went to see dad. His black hair seemed matted and stuck to his forehead and his eyes seemed weird somehow. I stepped back and looked at him. I had only seen him when I had turned from my father’s grave, who knew how much he had heard. He took a step forward and I looked away. If he had heard what I said to my father’s grave then my cheeks flushed beet red as he came towards me. He looked strange somehow. “Erid,” I said. He stopped when I said his name and just stood there staring at me. For a split second his eyes changed to an orange hue and then swiftly changed back. He walked until he was in front of me and then stepped up even closer.

            My eyebrows furrowed as I stared at him. He towered over me, his breath coming in short ragged gasps. I suddenly felt small and a little bit scared. “Erid,” I said. His right hand shot out and caught my chin. I flinched but he held on. He stroked my cheek and bent down. I pushed him back and gazed at him with eyes as wide as saucers. “What was he doing, he had a mate for Pete’s sake,” I thought. His breath was coming really fast now and his eyes seemed to be doing a very colorful display. I took in a deep breath as his eyes changed to that orange hue once again and he advanced towards me. “Erid what...”  My words were cut short as he pulled me towards him and captured my lips. I stumbled back and tried to push him away but he held on with a vice like grip. If we had done this before I found out about his mate I would have been happy but this was wrong. I pushed against him and gasped for air as he released me. “Erid are you crazy?” I cried. He looked at me with flaming orange eyes and smiled a broad smile.

            His feet came forward but before they could reach me my hand shot out and connected with his face. I yelped as the pain stung my hand and stepped back. My eyes found Erid and I stared in shock as he only stared at me, his feet did not even seem to move from the force of my slap. “Erid you can’t do this,” I said. My voice trembled and I knew I was going to cry even if I had to say my next words. “You have a mate,” I choked out. I looked up to see him staring at me as if I was crazy. He stepped forward and then turned and ran from the house. I stared after him confused and a little bit afraid.