Chapter 21 The curse

He stared at the coffins which had their lids flung against the walls and then crept closer. He cursed himself thinking that it was the work of thieves. He made it to the first box and gasped. There in the box, the body was gone. He shuffled back a few steps and made it to the next box. The woman was also missing. “No!” he thought. He backed up against the walls and wiped his brow. “How could this happen?” he thought. He sighed and was about to look again in the coffins when he heard a noise from outside. Before he could think of going outside two shadows grew on the wall as they came closer to his direction. He lay still and waited. His brow furrowed and his lips twitched. “It must be the thieves, they must have returned for treasure,” he thought. He waited with bated breath as the shadows came closer. His eyes almost popped out when the figures emerged. There before him was the corpse of the man and the woman. Phillip looked on as a third figure was seen but this one seemed to be on the floor. The woman dragged the body closer and he saw that it was a middle aged man with carrot coloured hair. She brought him to the box and then smiled at the shadow. The well preserved man entered and then they kissed. Phillip was aghast. He stared as the woman lifted up the carrot coloured hair and then bit into his neck. A shriek was heard and Phillip looked up to see the two living corpses looking at him

            He realized that it was himself who was screaming. He shut his mouth and tumbled to the floor. His legs could not support what he had seen, what he had discovered. The woman looked at him and smiled. She gave the body to the man and then advanced towards him. The man continued biting the man’s neck. Phillip shuddered as the woman neared him. She smiled at him and then kissed his cheek. He inhaled as the smell of fresh blood came to his nose. She smiled and then licked his cheek. There was a snarl from behind and Phillip looked up to see the man. His chin was dripping in blood and he had flung the body against the wall. He was now staring at them. Phillip tried to get his hand to reach the tools but the woman’s eyes trapped him and entranced him. She broke her gaze to look at man and smile. She turned back and kissed him. He gagged momentarily and then felt a prick at his lips. He yelped and she drew away. Her eyes became a brilliant ruby colour and then she bared her teeth. His eyes retracted as two long teeth unsheathed and came into view. His hands sprang to life and he clawed at the bag near to his arm. She pushed him against the wall and came closer. He cried out and kicked out. She snarled but leapt back. Phillip grabbed the bag and thrust his hand inside. He took hold of the first thing that came to his hands. He drew it out and sighed, it was brush that he used to dust away sand. He saw her coming and leapt aside. He had never seen anything move so fast.

            He landed on the floor and dove his hand again in the bag. Something cut him but he held steadfast. He pulled it out just as the woman jumped on top of him. She screamed and her disheveled hair fell on him. He could smell the years of death on her. She cast aside his face and sunk down to his neck. He felt a sharp prick near his jugular and knew that if he did not do something now he would be finished. With his last bit of strength he lifted his arm and tried to kick her off. She stumbled back and he drove the shining object through her chest. She screamed in pain and he looked at the silver knife which had been lodged in her chest. It was the knife that the gypsy woman had given him, it was the knife that she had told him to kill …” His thoughts dropped as he stared at the man in front of him. He realized now what she had meant. The man’s eyes glazed over as he watched part of his soul die, He screamed as her body contorted and she sank to the floor. She writhed like a snake and then lay still. Phillip saw her scream one last time and then her body shriveled up and then became still. The man ran towards her in a flash and bent down; as he tried to scoop her up she burst into dusts in his arms. There was a clang and the knife fell to the floor. “No!” he cried and then his eyes riveted on the man in front of him. Phillip stared at him in shock. Before he could do anything the man was upon him. He stared at the reddened eyes and the blood stained lips and knew now what he had done. He had unearthed a treasure that the daylight had never seen; he had unleashed a curse to the world, one that he thought had never existed. He had unearthed a vampire. He screamed as the face sank to his neck and then the darkness claimed him.

            The gypsy woman cried out in her sleep. “Mama,” what is it her son asked. She looked at him at his curious face and black hair and sighed. “He had grown so much, her little Raul  was now in the police aiding the fight against criminals, if only he knew of the real evil but now she would have to tell him. “Son, you have to promise me something.” She said. He had looked at her and nodded gravely. “You have heard of our peoples legends, you have heard of the nightmares that haunt our World, tonight our greatest threat has come alive and only our people shall know of it.” “Mama, what are you talking about,” Raul; asked. She sighed and a tear left her eyes. “You have to protect the child.” Raul gazed at his mother and then slumped down next to her. She knew he did not understand. She pulled him into a hug and patted his head. She told him about the man and the deed he had done, she told him everything that he was to become. He looked at her that day and thought that if he was not a part of their legends he would  have thought she was crazy, sure his people had legends but sometimes he did not think they were real. He thought about his sixteenth Birthday. There was a legend of his people that there was a great treasure had had never seen the light of day, everyone of the gypsy children knew about it, though no one had had thought the treasure was a threat. He knew about the legendary book that kept the location of the treasure a secret yet he still could not believe it could be true.

            It was only on his sixteenth Birthday that he realized that the legends were true. He had changed for the first time into one of the legendary creatures he thought only existed in stories. It was on that very day that he learned of the treasure, that his people spoke about. It was an evil that had no description. The threat had roamed the lands and somehow they had chased it. So many people it had killed. They had chased it to the desert and bound it in chains, a cross was tied to its hands and its body was left in a box. He remembered standing at the side of his mother as they tied the cross to the monsters arm. He had been there, he had seen it all, the monster had looked at him and he had felt different somewhat. He had walked forward and placed his hands on the chains but before he could do anything his mother pulled him away and the lid was lowered. He remembered that moment; the moment that he felt he had no control over his body. He recalled a voice in his head calling his name, Raul, Raul, help me...” It was only after they had bound him and his mate did Erid realize that it was the vamp who was calling him.

Now he knew why his people moved, now he knew why at every full moon some of his people went missing until a few days later and why they always seemed to have had a rough time. When his mother looked at him he made her a promise that he would find the child no matter what and make her promise true. That morning he awoke from a call from his station. There was a decapitated body near to a motel, the body was flung on the steps and the head was impaled on the pole that had the motel sign. He arrived at the scene and sighed. It was the face his mother had described. He left that day and traced the address of the man. When he arrived the body had arrived before him in a closed casket. He arrived and found the child. The child who was not much older than he was. He offered her his sympathy and they became friends. He dropped his post in his hometown and came to New York. There he joined the forces and became a special investigator. He worked together with her on a case and made sure that they were close. He stayed there watching her, making sure she was safe.