Chapter 3 The Arrival

I awoke to a light knocking on my door. I hastily threw back the covers while the door creaked open. Erid came in with a brown bag and a cup of coffee. “Good morning sunshine”, He said. I smirked and my stomach rumbled. “Gosh I’m starving,” I gasped. He smiled and procured two bagels from the bag. “Thanks,” I said. “Be ready in thirty minutes will you,” He said. “Why?” I asked. His lively face grew stern. “Another person’s missing,” He said. I gazed at him and then jumped out of the bed. “I’ll be ready,” I said. I showered and donned a pale blue pant suit. I knew when to dress when I meant business. I joined Erid downstairs after downing the bagels and coffee. Together we left for his land rover. Our journey commenced again this time Erid was determined to reach our destination before any hindrance came in our way. I lay my head against the seat and gazed out at the sparsely vegetated land that surrounded us. A dream from last night entered my thoughts as I gazed out the window. I was once again before the ruins and the voice was there again. I scanned the area but there was no one. I started to walk towards the entrance and the voice grew more insistent, more tantalizing. I had almost entered when Erid had knocked on the door.

            I glanced over at Erid. He was concentrating on the road. Erid had been a good friend to me. He was there the one time when no one else was. When my father died Erid appeared out of no where. He calmed me down and comforted me. The museum officials had been saying that dad had stolen some valuable artifact. I was distraught, my father had never stolen anything that would help people learn of their past. He was always looking for artifacts to help the people and the country. Of course some people just never seem to care. When my father died not one of the museum’s officials from the museum he worked with came to the funeral. My mother did come for the funeral. It was the only time I ever saw her. She was so deep in her grief I had hardly spoken to her. Yet Erid arrived. I was in my room in dad’s house when he came. He never knocked. He just entered the room and embraced me. He was from that moment probably my best friend. However after the funeral he just disappeared. We met again on one of his cases which I helped him on and then he vanished. That’s probably why he was a special detective. After my dad died he left his house to me knowing that my mom wouldn’t come abroad. I would have stayed but the house just had too many memories. I did not want to sell it or let it go into disrepair so I rented it out and moved to an old shambled apartment right in New York which I now lived in.

            “We’re here,” a voice said pulling me out of my thoughts. I gazed out into the barren land that surrounded us. I opened the door and instantly a gust of hot air made me gasp. Erid strode over to me and pulled me to an area that had several police cars parked and a sleek black Jaguar. We reached the area and ducked under the yellow tape that enclosed the area. As soon as we entered two policemen were upon us. “This is a restricted area…..” before he could finish his sentence Erid interrupted,” Detective Northheimer and my colleague.” They gawked at me and then the smaller of the two spoke, “We’re sorry detective.” Erid nodded and we walked towards a large white canvas tent. Before we could reach it however a tall figure stopped us. “Hello there North,” He said.

            He finally came into my view and boy what a view. He was tall and muscular with a crop of dark brown hair that framed his piercing blue green eyes. He wore a business pants and a shirt that fit him a bit too snug with a pair of dust caked boots. “Hello there Dmitri,” Erid answered. The figure stopped and stared at me. “And who do I have the pleasure of meeting?” He asked. Erid coughed and replied, “This is my colleague Caithlyn Davis.” “A pleasure to meet you miss,” He said whilst taking my hand and placing a kiss on it. I blushed beet red while Erid coughed again. “As do I,” I replied,” I would take a wild guess that your car is the black jaguar parked out front.” He smirked and responded,” You judge me well,” He said. “We should be going,” Erid said. I smiled and Erid tugged my hand. “Maybe I can give you a ride sometime,” Dmitri said.”Maybe,” I answered and then I walked away. “Wow who’s that?” I asked. “That’s just Dmitri Cabot; he’s one of the archeologists that were involved in the incident.” I smiled and looked at Erid did I just hear a hint of jealousy or was I just imagining it.

            We walked on until the ruins started to loom ahead. I shaded my eyes from the sun and walked until the shadow of the ruins was in front of me. When I finally looked up I could have screamed instead I just gasped. It was like déjà vu. There before me stood the temple from my dreams the exact thing. “Are you ok?” Erid asked. I was so shocked all I could do was nod dumbly. He took my hand but I broke my gaze and pulled away. “It’s nothing,” I lied. He looked down at the ground. I stared at the building again just to make sure I was seeing correctly and then began to walk away. The sight before me was just too much. Before I knew it Erid was running to keep up. He trudged after me wordlessly as I made for the car.” Man why was I so freaked out?” I asked myself. I placed my hands on the hood of the car and took a deep breath. There was a feeling in the pit of my stomach like I shouldn’t have come here. I looked up to see Erid staring at me concerned. I drew a deep breath and then spoke. “Erid I’m sorry I had a dream and you wouldn’t believe. I related all of my dreams that I had gotten the nights before while he listened intently nodding encouragingly.

            When I was finished he patted my hand soothingly and then spoke, “well hon that was one heck of a dream and that creepy voice hmm well I wouldn’t want to force you into anything but can you at least take a close look at the ruins please. I smiled and responded, “Ok.” We jogged back to the ruins and once again the feeling returned. I pushed aside my thoughts and looked up at the archway before me. It was wrought in a myriad of designs with a barely visible message engraved in the middle of it. I stared up and then after a long look I spoke. “It looks like no language I have ever seen before,” I said shocked. “I know isn’t it frustrating,” a rich voice said. I turned to see Dmitri staring up at the arch. He looked at me and smiled a light smile that barely tugged the corners of his mouth. “It’s so confusing,” I replied,” Has anyone entered the ruins yet?” I asked. “No but we were going to enter it tomorrow it would be a pleasure if you entered with us,” he said. “Caith,” Erid said. “I would love to,” I replied. He smiled brightly and spoke, “Excellent we are entering in the morning I await your presence till then.” With those words he left. Erid stared at me and then shook his head. “What?” I asked. “Nothing,” He replied.