Chapter 24 Close

Erid looked at the eyes and then sighed. “Who are you?” a man in a plaid shirt and brown track pants said. Erid gazed at the small family that consisted of a mother, a father and a son and daughter. They were huddled near to a couch in front of the TV watching some cop movie. He looked at them and then took out his badge. “I’m a special investigator and there has been a crime reported in the house, you guys should probably take shelter by your neighbours until I have searched the premises. The woman clutched the man’s hand. The man nodded wordlessly and then Erid waited as they left through the backdoor. He locked it and then made his way up the stairs. He smiled a little. There was a family right in the houses where the vamp was, he was surprised that the vamp had not sucked the life out of them. His smile faltered as he heard a scream. He climbed the stairs two at a time, careful not to make too much noise. He made it to the top and then straight ahead his ears were drawn to Caith’s door. He had seen it too many times to not know it was hers. He scrambled along the landing and then stood in front of the door. He braced himself and ran bursting through the door and into the room.

            His eyes froze at the scene before him. There lay Caith but she seemed hidden by the body of the vamp he was trying to… His mind went blank as he registered what was happening. The vamp’s head snapped up but not before Erid was leaping. He leapt on the figure and tried to claw him off a hypnotized Caith. She lay so still he was afraid what was happening. Before he could assess her situation he was knocked to the floor. His eyes shot up and then he growled. Grey fur leapt up his limbs and covered his body, his eyes changed to an orange hue and he howled. The vamp smiled and then lounged at him. Erid leapt and landed on all fours on top of him. His teeth chewed at the old shirt that was now in tatters against the vamps chest. The vamp snarled and then bared his fangs Erid bore down and tore through his neck. The vamp cried out but the bite only served to enrage him. He kicked out and sent Erid flying across the room. Erid fell with a thud against the wall and whimpered. Before he could get up the vamp was up and over Caith.

            Erid growled and then sprang at the vamp. He dodged but fell against the bed. Erid leapt on top and then tore at his neck till the vamp grew still.  When he stepped back his wolf was already receding. His fur disappeared and his skin returned. His chest hurt from the fall against the wall but he still made his way over to Caith. She was coming around. He let out a breath and then sat beside her. Her eyes twitched as they tried to grow accostomed to the light. His eyes fell on her mouth and he balled up his fists. She opened her eyes and then looked up at him. He smiled a weak smile but before he could ask her anything she rolled off the bed and went on all fours on the floor. He stared at her confused before he realized what was happening. He quickly rushed to her and held up her hair. She vomited everything that she had had. He thought it was the scent of the blood that had triggered her. When she had barfed out her guts he settled her back on the bed and sat beside her.

            She sighed and a tear rolled down her cheek. Erid turned to her and wiped it away. “Why is this happening to me?” she asked in barely a whisper. Erid drew her in a hug but then she pulled away. “What the?” she cried. She stared at him with eyes as big as saucers and then stood up. He looked at himself and realized he was naked as the day he was born. “Oh I’m sorry!”He cried and grabbed a pillow. He stared at her and then his smiled disappeared. He stared at the vamp and her eyes followed his. “No!” she muttered. “We have to go,” he said. He looked around and spotted a sheet. He wrapped it around his torso and without waiting for an answer he grabbed her reluctant hand and dragged her down the stairs, out the back door and towards the car. He climbed in the driver’s seat and she made her way to the passenger side. She got in and he started the car and drove off wordlessly. “Um Erid you’re um err...” she said. He smiled and then looked ahead. I don’t mind driving this way but if you’re uncomfortable I have some clothes in the back Just get me a pants please,” he said. She looked away and then climbed over the seat. There was giggle from the front. She ignored him and reached for a pair of shorts.

She scrambled around and then pulled out a pair of black shorts. She handed him the shorts and looked straight ahead. “Hey can you drive while I get this on?” he asked. She eyeballed him and then cursed. “No way hosay,” she said. He giggled and then there was a scuffle and then another giggle. She smirked and then her face became serious. “Erid why, how, what happened why did you, why were you naked?” she asked. He glanced at her in the rearview mirror and then his face became sober. “Caith, it’s a long story but I promise you as soon as we arrive I’m going to tell you everything.”She sighed and sunk in her seat. His little episode had made her forget her encounter but now everything seemed to return. He gazed at her and then looked out the window. “Caith, there’s something I should have told you from the first day we had met,” he said. She stared at him waiting for him to go on. “I should have a long time now but I want to tell you, it’s not safe here so I’m taking us to a safe place.”She stared at him a while more and then spoke. “Why is it not safe, that thing its dead isn’t it?” she asked. His mouth grew into a grim line. “Yes it’s down but it can heal, I’ve seen enough of it to know that, I just took it out.” She stared at him and was about to ask him something but stopped. “How long, did you know about this?” she asked. He stared ahead and spoke. “Before I met you.” She inhaled and then pressed herself into the seat. “Where are we going?” she asked. “The same way we came, Death Valley,” he said. “Are you nuts,” she asked, “That’s where all this crap started?” He sighed but continued driving. She looked at him and realized that he was done talking. She gazed out at the tiny shops that dotted the area and then made a mental goodbye to them. She settled down low in the seat and then closed her eyes.