Chapter 27 His story

Ambrogio opened his eyes and blinked into the light. His neck felt like it was thudding. He reached up and a piece of flesh became lodged in his hands. He sneered and then took away his hand. His skin was still healing. He walked a few steps in front of the window and then looked out. It was dark out, the sun had long gone. He looked out at the moon and then tried to get a scent. He snarled when he caught none. He did not know what had made the mongrel Raul invisible to him. He inhaled and then smiled. There it was the scent of human blood coupled with a hint of something he could not put his mind on. He looked out of the window before jumping out into the night. The wind blew against him, making his shredded clothes flutter in the night. He had seen better days. He thought about his life in Paris before he became haunted by the fiends. Life was good for him back there, back when he was a human. He did not remember much of what happened but he remembered waking up and staring into two dazzling pools of black. Her face was as pale as the moon, and her lips were red as blood.

            She smiled when he had awakened and then instantly bent down and kissed him. Her kiss seem to fire his hunger, hunger for what he did not know. She had helped him up and then held his arm. “I am Elisabeth,” She said. I looked at her speechless, she was the epitome of beauty. “Who am I?” I had asked. She had smiled and looked at me. “You are my Ambrogio,” She had said. She had held my hand and walked me to the town square through the night. She thought me who to hunt, who to avoid the town’s people, how to get people to help me no matter what was the problem. We were lovers, we were the most passionate of souls and we were mates. She had told me that that nigh after sharing a passionate kiss and then laying back in the moon light. The moonlight was like her mirror staring back at her, he had smiled and then the night had covered them.

            They had stumbled into a camp the next morning, there was hardly anyone about? She had smiled and showed him the moon; she had said that when it was full we would be able to kill as much as we wanted to satiate our thirst. Like a puppet she pulled me through the camp site, it was large and had several caravans parked alongside each other. She drew me to the first and there on the bed were our first victims. A woman bundled in a thick patterned blanket lay on another blanket; near to her was a small boy about seven or eighth years of age. She had smiled and then with a word made for the woman. I lounged for the boy. They were dead before they realized something had hit them. On and on we had pillaged the camps until it was near night when she pulled me away from the small woman I was feeding on.

             I wanted to stay, to continue feeding but she pulled me and carried me away. We sat in the darkness watching the camps, for what I did not know. Just after midnight however I saw several large wolves coming to the camp. I stared as they made there way around the caravans and then one howl after another sounded. Before we knew what was happening there was an angry throng of howls. Elisabeth wanted to go yet I was mesmerized by the wolves and there howls, I still wanted to feed and they looked as good as ever to feed on. Before we could even run from our hiding spot, I heard a thumping behind me. There was a loud thump and then I was slammed to the ground. I fought with the night, clawing and scratching until I though I would sink to the ground. Elisabeth was there and then she was not. I struggled until something was ripped of me.

            I glared at the sight above me. It was Elisabeth. She held the torn limb of an animal, it looked like an animal until it started to morph and an arm appeared. I scrambled backwards and then before any more could attack us Elisabeth had grabbed me and pulled me till we were as far away as we could get from them. When we stopped, she looked at me and then mouthed Gypsies. From then on I realized that they would be back for us. We ran through many places killing few as we went. We never though they would find us. We fled across borders, counties and countries until we reached Death Valley. I though we would we safe here, we hid for a while and then began to show ourselves at night. We realized that we would be free now or so we thought. Our mistake was to live too carelessly. The wolves haunted us and then watched us as we disguised ourselves amongst the town’s people.

            Our mistake was the death to us all. The night was cold as I held Elisabeth against me. She was toying with me like she always did. I was smiling and then she was at my lips. We kissed passionately, a bit too passionately to notice the shadows creeping up on us. Before we knew it we were cornered. A net was flung and we fought, but it was not to be. They dragged us out to the desert and tried to kill us, so many things they used, Winchesters, colts all assorted iron knifes and stoning us but we survived and laughed at them. Finally a gypsy woman stepped for ward and held up a blessed cross. We shied from it, it was sacred, something that we did not take to. She brought it forward until we dropped to our knees. She told them that without blood we could not survive, and so they made a tomb for us trapping us. They laid us in filthy boxes and placed blessed crosses on our bodies. They then covered us and bound us in chains. We cried that night and many more till we knew that we were lost. I called to my Elisabeth one last time before the breath left me.

            My eyes roved around the yard and then I made for the window. There they were a happy family immersed in a box before their eyes. He smiled and then saw his opportunity, an open window near to the box. It would startle them but they wouldn’t know what hit them before he was done. He dodges behind the plants and then made for the window. Ina matter of seconds he was standing before them. They gazed at him and then the woman screamed. He took her first draining her. The man was shocked to shocked to move. He was the next to go. Something pounded on his back as he drained the man. He turned and the girl stood transfixed. He left the man and made for her. She cried out as his fangs sank into her neck. He looked around when he was finished and did not see the boy. He smelled the air and his eyes darted straight for the table. There he could sense it. He was there in a flash and had thrown over the table. There he was crouching on the floor. He staggered back when the table had been thrown over and now he was staring at him. Ambrogio smiled and his teeth came into view. Before the boy could scream his teeth had sunk into his throat shutting off his windpipe. Ambrogio smiled and then looked at the man before going over and taking off his clothes. He shed his own and then donned the man’s one. It was too big for him but he would have to mange until he found someone else.