Chapter 2 Almost There

I slept through the night immersed in the atmosphere of an archeological dig. The dream was foggy at first but then seemed to clear up as I propelled myself forward. I was surrounded by a dusty desert. There was sand everywhere as far as the eye could see. I started out slowly in the dream but then my legs pushed me forward to where I could only imagine. I broke into a run and then there before me sat a ruined building. It could have been every archeologist’s dream to uncover this rare piece of history. I stumbled forward in my dream and the building rose to greet me. I held my hand against the glare of the sun and looked up. A strange writing adorned the entrance it was nothing like the hieroglyphics I had seen or the writings of the Amerindian tribes. I stood trying to decipher the meaning. The longer I stood the more frustrated I became. I was about to give up when a voice called out. “Caith…,” it said. I looked around. The voice resounded again.”Caith where are you I have been looking so long for you Caith.” I whirled desperate to find the voice. It was rich and sugarcoated. It became more insistent.”Caith!” I began to feel drawn to the voice it was as if it compelled me to walk through the entrance.

                I felt myself being shaken violently. My eyes shot open. There stood Detective Erid staring at me. “Geez don’t you ever knock,” I said. He smiled and sat beside me, “Are you ok?” He asked. I looked up at him and answered, “Have I a reason not to be.” He shrugged his shoulders and walked out the door. I stared as his back disappeared from sight. I could be so cold sometimes I surprised myself. I darted out of bed and made a beeline for the bathroom. There I had a quick shower, brushed my teeth and dressed in a pair of comfy jeans and a black blouse. I trudged down the steps with the smell of eggs in the air. “No way!” I thought. I went straight for the kitchen. There donned in my apron with the emblazoned red heart stood Detective Erid.”What are you doing?” I asked. He smiled that charming smile revealing his perfect teeth. “Can’t I make you breakfast,” He said. I sighed and sat down on a chair. He placed a plate in front of me with what looked like two slices of bread with eggs that looked like they had yellow eyes and sausage for a mouth. “You are not serious,” I said. He stood back and hugged a cup of coffee in his hands and smirked at me.

                After my breakfast reminiscent of being a five year old I sipped my coffee and looked at him. “Are you ready?” He asked. I stared at him shocked. “What now!” I said. “When did you expect, “He answered “Well I didn’t pack,” I said. He stared at me then spoke, “I’ll pack if you want me to.” I gaped at him.”You will not the next thing you know the neighbors would be asking me why I didn’t invite them for the wedding when they see you here.” I said. He smirked mischievously. “Now that will be cute, “He said. I shook my head and headed upstairs. An hour later I was packed and everything was loaded into Erid’s Land Rover. It was half an hour after that we left for California. I had travelled the World quite a bit to do my archeological work but recently I have been doing work for the local police departments in their evidence section. It just goes to say that you sometimes you just get tired of travelling around at a certain age, well that is for me.

                If anyone had had ever seen me they’ll say that I’m not a New Yorker and they would be right. My dad was from the great New York while my mom was from Caribbean so saying that I am a true New Yorker would be wrong. I said my mom was from the Caribbean right well it is true though I don’t know exactly which one of the islands. I don’t really know much about my mom. I know that my dad met my mom when he went on one of his Caribbean cruises, well right on the cruise they hit it off a month after they were married and a couple of months after my mom found out that she was pregnant. My dad decided to come back to his home but my mom didn’t want to. She always thought the World of her little island. Well dad stayed with her until I was born but then he got called back to work. Both my mom and dad came to New York but my mom couldn’t stay. She felt downright homesick. So long story short my mom went back to the Caribbean I stayed with my dad and hey things have been great since then. My dad really loved my mom though so every vacation he has he always goes to the Caribbean.

                I never really got to know my mom but I really got close to my dad. He worked for the museum and he was my role model ever since he worked there. I followed up in my fathers’ footsteps and today I stand a proud archeologist. I’m what most people would call tall and sort of lean. I inherited my mothers’ complexion which was a light brown with a touch of my father who was white so I am sort of olive toned I guess. I have hazel brown eyes and raven black hair. In short I don’t think the world about my body but I’m comfortable with it.

                I stared out the window as Erid drove towards our destination. The dream from last night popped into my head. That voice I just couldn’t get it out of my head. It was so cool and calm yet it was so intense. I closed my eyes and let the wind race through my hair. It was a while after that I felt a nudge. I awoke with a start and saw Erid gazing at me. I looked out and saw that we were in front of a gas station with a café at the side. I smiled at him and yanked the door open with him in tow. We ordered hamburgers and milkshakes and then I visited the lady’s room. After we filled the tank and off we went again. We turned into a motel before it got dark and settled for the night. I had never felt so tired in all my life. I had no idea driving cross country could be so tiring. I could just imagine how Erid was feeling. I tumbled into my room stripped off my clothes and immersed myself in a hot bath. I had no desire to awaken my nerves tonight. After I changed into a night robe and just managed to reach my bed before I fell asleep. A soft knock came from the door but I was fast asleep and on my way to dreamland. Erid opened the door and smirked. He gazed upon the figure stretched on the bed for a minute and then with a sigh left for dinner alone.