Chapter 63 His mate

“I see it now why you left, maybe it was the fact that I’ll never be good enough,” Tash07

            I awoke the next morning to Dmitry’s voice. “You aren’t going to stay in bed the whole day,” He asked. I smiled and then sat up. All those late nights at work were finally catching up to me. A yawn escaped my mouth and I looked up to see Dmitry smiling. “Erma has already brought breakfast so …” He said. I stared at the table that held a tray with some sandwiches. I sighed and pushed back the covers. “Forgive me but I feel like a prisoner,” I said. Dmitry laughed. “Perhaps you are,” He said. My eyebrows rose. “What?” I asked. He smiled but then turned away. I got out of bed and spread the sheets neatly back on it. It was quite early or probably late, I was afraid to look out of the window, the scene from yesterday was still fresh in my mind.

I made my way to the wardrobe and scrambled through my clothes, I pulled out a pair of blue trousers and a white blouse. After I grabbed some clean underwear I made my way to the bathroom and had a shower. The water was warm and refreshing. I left the tap running for a while longer and then stepped out. I dried myself and put on my clothes before I went back in the room. Erid was there in a new pair on denims and a grey tee- shirt. “You already bathed?” I asked incredulous. He nodded. “What time do you get up?” I asked. “I’m an early riser,” he replied. I nodded and sat down on the couch. He pushed the tray with the sandwiches towards me and a bottle of water. I thanked him and bit into one, it was some sort of cheese. I ate two and then took a gulp of water. It was only then that I realized that I was thirsty. When I was finished I sat back and looked at Dmitry. “Well I have to get back to the lab to get something,” I said. His eyes widened for a second and then he nodded. “Well that’s strange Erid said he wanted to see you today,” He said. My eyes shot open. “You spoke to him!” I said. He nodded slowly.

            “Hey it’s only today and if you meet him early I promise I’ll take you there,” He said. I looked at him and then smiled. “Thanks so much you don’t know how much that means,” I said. He smirked and then got up. “You ant to go for a ride,” He said. “To where?” I asked. He shrugged his shoulders and then smiled. “We could go for those beers,” he said. I smiled but shook my head. I wanted to be as sober as ever when I met Erid. “Dmitry I’ll just make some calls to my work to make sure they’re doing the right stuff, one day can cause huge mistakes,” I said. He frowned and then plopped back down on the couch. “Hey I’m sorry,” I said. He let out some indistinguishable sound and I turned and reached for my cell phone on the night stand. I dialled the station and waited. Max answered surprisingly. “Hello,” I said, “Caith,” He answered. “Max why are you answering the phone you should be in the evidence room putting the evidence back in order,” I said. There was a groan on the line.

            “Everything is fine here and hey you shouldn’t be quarreling with me miss, you’re the one who’s probable smooching your boyfriend to who knows what degree,” He said. I gasped and blushed beet red. “If only that was possible,” I thought. “Hey are you still there?” he asked after I did not answer him back. “Yeah,” I muttered. “I just called to make sure everything was ok,” I said. “It’s alright here Caithy, you know the usual.” He replied. “Well I’ll see you soon I guess,” I finished. “Yeah you too Caith take care,” with those words he rang off. I flipped the phone shut and then stared at it. “Uhhh Max could be so irritating sometimes,” I thought. Dmitry was still on the couch doing what I don’t know. I got up and walked over to him. “Hey do you still want to go for that ride?” I asked. His head shot up and he smiled.

            We drove past the gate and past several other buildings. It was only when we were a short distance from the church did I recognize where we were. A motel loomed up ahead and we drove right by it. “Where are we going?” I asked. He smiled and just looked ahead. “You’ll see,” he said. I snuggled into the seat and looked out the window. It was hard to see that we were actually here once, the motel looked so different. We drove past several other stores and out into the road where there were no buildings surrounding us. The air was crisp and hot. I opened my window to its fullest extent and my eyes drank in the fields. There was nothing but dry grass and sandy soil around us.