Chapter 14 Going

After packing my suitcase I made my way downstairs and waited for Erid. He arrived a few minutes later and then looked at me. “Are you sure?” he asked. I sighed and looked at him. After a moment I nodded. He took my suitcase and loaded it into the car and then went back towards me. “Atleast let’s have some breakfast,” he said and smirked. I nodded and followed him to the diner near to the motel. We entered and the smell of bacon and eggs wafted into the air. I inhaled and then plopped down in a chair near to the window. Erid sat down and waited as a waitress came over. A plump woman came to them with a head of graying hair. She smiled at them and then spoke. “What can I get you folks?” she asked. Erid smiled and ordered bacon, eggs, sausages and toasts with a steaming cup of coffee. I smiled at him; he was really packing it in this morning. I ordered toasts and eggs and a cup of coffee.

            We ate in silence until Erid interrupted. “So I guess you’re going for your vacation,” he said. I thought for a moment and then spoke. “I might but…”my voice stuttered as I looked out the window. I inhaled at the figure in front of me. There he stood his eyes seem to emanate a glow, his black jacket was bellowing in the wind along with his hair, his lips were draped in a smile as if in a taunt. I inhaled sharply and then closed my eyes. “Caith,” I heard my name being called. I opened my eyes and saw Erid staring at me with a concerned expression. “Erid,” I began and then stopped. “The sooner we get out of here the better,” I said and then stood up. “But you haven’t eaten, we haven’t gotten our food,” he said. I sighed and then sat back down. “Caith tell me the truth are you ok?” he asked. I looked at him and then a sigh escaped my lips. “I don’t know Erid, I really don’t I think it’s just my imagination but ever since we entered the ruins I think I saw a person in black but maybe its my imagination.” Erid looked thoughtful for a moment before replying. “Hey maybe it’s a spirit that was contained in the ruins,” he said. “Ha-ha as if,” I said. He looked down and then managed a smile.

            “You’re right,” he said, “The sooner you get away from this mess the better,” I stared at him for a moment and then finally pushed back my coffee cup. I waited for Erid to finish and then he paid the bill. After getting in his car we drove off. I lay my head back against the seat and then closed my eyes. I tried to visualize a beach and the sand flowing between my toes but it just could not come to me. I tried to gaze out the window but all they passed were barren lands with dust in the distance. I felt a tingle and he came again. “Caith, Caith,” he said, “I’m coming.”A laugh rang out and she screamed. I started and saw Erid looking at me. “Caith,” he whispered. I inhaled and slumped low in my seat. “Just get me away from this cursed place!” I cried. He sped up without another word.

Chapter 15

A new Find

             Phillip stared at the journal spread out on his overcrowded desk. Papers were everywhere even on the couches. He had just tucked Caith in and had come back down to the study. His eyes were drooping but he knew he was not going anywhere until something came up. He propped up his head on his hand and looked at the journal. He pushed it aside and was about to take up the atlas from beneath when he heard a voice. “Dad?” He looked up and smiled. “Hey there sweetheart what happened I thought you were asleep.” She smiled and shook her head. “I just want a drink of water,” she said. He smiled and led her to the kitchen. He gave her a cup of water and then she gave him a kiss and left. He stumbled back towards the study and stared at the table. What he saw made him start. From where he stood the map looked quite different, the lines when looked at closely seemed like scratches but from afar he could definitely see the out line of a very familiar place. A smile crossed his lips as he lounged for the atlas. There was no doubt about it, the outline of North America reached out at him. Pinpointed on the map he now saw some faint dots. Using his archeological expertise he ran to the kitchen and grabbed some lemons. He brought it back squeezed some of the juice on some tissue and gently wiped it on the page. Immediately writing started to appear.

            He started in wonder as words began to simultaneously form of the page and then smiled. Before him in curious points lay the words Panamint in a westerly direction, to the east lay the words Black, Funeral, and Grapevine. Once he saw them he knew that they were the ranges that made up the Armargosa Range. Lower down he spotted a path, like some sort of border and he at once knew it. Between the path he knew that there would be two desserts and from his travels they ought to be the Mojave Dessert and the Great Basin. The last words formed made him gasp. “Death,” He grabbed his atlas and opened it to North America. He located the ranges and then stared in wonder at the words before him. Death Valley. A smile formed on his face and he quickly wrote down the exact location that the map in the journal pointed to. After he lay on the couch and smiled at the paper with the coordinates.

            “Dad,” someone called. He awoke with a start and saw Caith in front of him.  “Hey sweetheart, let’s get some breakfast.”She smiled at him but shook her head. “I can’t, remember the school camp,” she said. He furrowed his eyebrows and then smiled. “Yes I remember now, but how long will you be gone?” he asked. Her eyes saddened as she looked at him. “Two weeks,” she muttered. “No way,” he said. “It’s so long!” she cried. “But I have to go we have a project to do,” she said. He smiled understanding and then got up. “Well let’s fill your bag shall we,” he said and then headed to her room. “No dad,” she said, “I already packed.” He smiled and looked at her. “My baby’s all growing up,” he said. She smiled but then came in front of him. “No dad I can never grow too old for you,” saying that she hugged him. He smiled and might have cried if a horn had not blared in the front of the house. “I have to go!’ she said. He managed to give her a quick kiss just before she ran out the door. He was left standing there. He shook his head and a thought came to him.

            “Of course,” he thought, “I can go on a trip if Caith won’t be here,” he thought. He smiled at his plan and then without waiting for a moment he went to pack, every minute he had was precious especially since he had the key and had to return it to the museum. He pulled a suitcase from on top of his wardrobe and then threw in some pants, tee-shirts, jackets; his dust caked digging boots, his tools, and several other things he thought that he might need for his trip. He practically ran through the house, locked the last door and then ran for the car. Here he threw the suitcase in the trunk and darted for the wheel.