Chapter 51 Home again

A few days after the funeral we agreed to leave. Caith wanted to pay respects to her father and to Besnik. I watched her every moment she was around; there was no telling if Bo would react again. A sigh escaped my lips as I entered the dining room. Mother was there sitting next to her. We had decided it best to leave as soon as possible. I looked up at them and then sighed. Mother stood up and so did Caith. “Goodbye my child, it has been a long and difficult journey but now you go back to where you started,” Mother said. Caith smiled and then embraced her. “I’ll miss you all,” she said. They exchanged hugs and then we parted. We were walking past the altar when Caith suddenly spun around and sighed. “What is it?” I asked. “I’ll miss this place,” She said, “It’s like living an archeologists dream.” I smiled and let her eyes drink in the altar and the gothic arches.

            She finally left it and we ambled out towards the car. As soon as we got in she leaned her head against the seat and closed her eyes. I stared at her and then looked away. She was going home, where her life would finally be what it once was and I… I drove on, casting glances at her now and then to make sure she was alright. It was weird but protecting her had somehow stuck with me. I would have never imagined the end being like this. I looked at her blouse where I knew my mark was and wondered if it was not there if I would be feeling the same way. I shook my head and drove on. Everything was going to be the way it supposed to.

            We finally arrived at her apartment late when the sun was almost down and the sky was ablaze in hues of orange and red. I left her in the car and came out, just looking at the sunset. I had never taken the liberty to do so but now it seemed that this sunset heralded a meaning to me. “Maybe a part of my life was setting too?” I thought. I heard a door opened and knew that she was awake. “Hey,” she called. I turned and smiled at her. “It’s beautiful isn’t it?” I said. She smiled and looked beyond me. “Yes,” She said. We looked at it a while and then headed inside. As soon as we were in a thought suddenly struck me. “Um Caith you know that your room is going to be a mess right,” I said. Her eyebrows furrowed and she nodded. “It’s ok I’ll sleep in the other bedroom,” She said, “I’ll have to after my experience in that room I think I’ll be changing bedrooms.” I smiled and then sat down on a couch.

            “Erid,” She said. I looked up and she sat down beside me. “I feel so weird,” She said, “What do I do now?” I took a deep breath and then spoke. “I guess you go back to living your life the way you used to,” I said. She sighed and then got up. “I guess I should go and try to fix the room,” she said, “Are you staying the night?” I got up and then shook my head. “I should be heading out,” I said. She nodded and walked me to the door. When we got outside I took one last look at her. “Are you ok?” I asked. She nodded slowly. “I’m fine.” I sighed and then walked to the car. “Erid,” She called. I looked up to see her by the steps. She walked down and came in front of me. I smiled at her in the darkness. She put out her hand against mine; the one that had been burnt by the vamp and had not all healed and then breathed in. My eye brows furrowed until I felt it. Sadness flowed through my body and rippled through me. I took a step back and my back leaned into the car. She stepped closer and her hands covered mine. We stood there wordlessly feeling our emotions and letting it run through our bodies.

            “Can you feel it?” she asked. I nodded silently. Her hands left mine and she embraced me. I pulled her in and let her stay against my chest. She looked up at me after a while and my mother’s words flashed before my eyes. “I wish you’d settle down with us, find your mate and stay awhile,” she had said. I looked at Caith and then looked away. I could stay with her forever but she was not mate and in my heart I knew it. The mark I had given her still stayed with her but that was probably because she was marked by an alpha. I sighed. “Mother was probably right she was not one of our people and then there was Bo,” I thought. My thoughts ran on running away and leaving everything behind but I was their Alpha and they were my people. I sighed again and then drew her away. “I should go,” I said. She looked hesitant for a moment and then backed away. “Goodbye Caith,” I said and then got in the car. She stared after me and even when the car drove off. I took a deep breath and then drove on.