Chapter 17 Digging

Phillip was crazy with excitement. After having reached a quiet community that was close to the site he disembarked and made his way to a motel that was suggested by his travelling agency. He signed in at the front desk and was about to go to his room when a woman grabbed his arm. He swiveled around and came face to face with an aged but beautiful woman. She had on a long flowing print skirt with a loose cotton blouse. Long golden earrings dangled from her ears while a think gold necklace was around her neck. Her eyes were widened and her red lips were in a shocked expression. He lay stunned for a moment before trying to withdraw his arm. “You!” she cried. Before he could say anything the motel’s manager was tugging her away. They took her out the doors and into the night. He stared after them speechless. For one moment he had not felt the urge that he had to begin his discovery. He shook his head and looked on as the manager came in and apologized for the woman’s presence. He said that she was an old gypsy woman who roamed the streets, telling people their future and generally being harmless. He said he did not know what had overcome her. Phillip nodded understandingly and then headed to his room.

            He entered the petite suite and stared. It wasn’t much but the owners sure wanted their guests to feel comfy. There was some heavy green and gold embellished drapes that did not suit the heated weather. A bed stood in the middle with a night stand and a few other furnishings. He dropped his suitcase on the bed and made his way to the bath area. It was more than he anticipated. A shower lay while a tub was somehow squeezed in the corner. A sink and towel holder with a fresh white towel lay to his right. He smiled and made his way back to the bed. There he took out his clothes and placed it in a draw in the night stand. He left his tools in the bag and then put it aside. By the time he was done it was 7:20pm. He pulled out a new pair of trousers and a tee-shirt, some new underwear and made his way to the shower. After taking a quick bath he combed his hair and left to find dinner. He walked around the motel getting a feel of the place before entering a small 24 hour café. He ordered a steak and mashed potatoes and a piece or cherry pie and washed it down with a shot of whiskey and some orange juice. He got back to the motel by 8:45 and noticed that he had not seen the gypsy woman. He shook his head and climbed the stairs to his room where he settled in for the night.

            He slept restless night thinking about his new discovery and Caith. He had barely left her and he was already missing her. It was too bad that he never got to tell her about his new find she would have been more excited that he was. He smiled and managed to fall asleep around midnight. It was quite late when he awoke the next morning past 9am to be exact. He hastily climbed out of bed bathed dressed in a pair of jeans, a shirt and his jacket and then donned his dust caked boots. He entered the lobby and the manger looked up. He nodded a greeting and then made it to the café. He ordered some scrambled eggs and some black coffee and then made it to his truck. He placed his bag of tools on the passenger seat and then sat back. After a breath of air he took off. He looked at the map one more time and with the guidance of a few persons he was on his way.

            He drove past the dust covered plains and stopped at the point indicated on his map. He took up his tools and headed out. After scouting the land he settled on a raised form and then gently stared to dust away the dust. He had no help so he had to do this the traditional way. He dusted for a while and then stood back, nothing. It must have been ages and might take him ages just to uncover a part of this history. He settled to dusting again and began to clear off some of the debris with his digging tools. When the sun was high in the sky he stopped for a break and wondered why he had not thought of bringing lunch. He continued on nonetheless. This was way too important than a bite. When the sun started to retreat he stood up and looked at the work he had just finished. Nothing was visible. He took up his tools and started back for the motel and went up to his room after another look from the manager. He took a quick bath and lay on his bed. Before he could even think about dinner he was asleep.

            By the time he was awake the next morning it was way past breakfast and was almost lunch. He got up and cursed himself before taking a shower and throwing on his jeans, a new shirt, his jacket and his boots. He made it through the motel’s doors without a look from the manager. He was quite accostomed tom his appearance now. Phillip made it to the café an ordered a hearty meal that was to be his breakfast and lunch. He ordered two steaks, aside of mashed potatoes, scalloped corn, some pumpkin soup, a crust of bread and two shots of whiskey with his orange juice. When he was finished ordering the waitress looked at him as if waiting for confirmation. He smiled and she left. He ate and ordered back some banana nut bread, corn bread, two bottles of juice and a fresh bottle of water a la carte. He smiled at the waitress one more time before leaving. He spotted the department store next to the café and made a mental note to but some supplies the next time he saw it. He made it to his truck and drove off. He found the site faster now having been there yesterday.

            He took his tools and then after looking at the site began his work. He worked through the day had a snack in the late afternoon and then worked again. When the sun became a mere speck in the sky he stood up and groaned. He loved his work but sometimes the wait was just too much. Tired as ever he got in his truck and drove to the motel. He got in had the remainder of the banana bread and juice and dropped on the bed. Within minutes he was asleep. He awoke with a start and stared around him. The air was cold. He got up and made his way to the window. One look made him sigh. Rain, rain, rain, his worst enemy. He sighed and sat on his bed. With rain falling he would not be able to continue with his work. He got up, took a long bath and then pulled on a pair of trousers and a tee-shirt. After putting on his sneakers he made it through the lobby and then out into the rain. He ran across the road and managed to reach the department store before going in. He looked around and then picked out some shirts, tee-shirts and trousers and some jeans. He obtained a large water bottle and a few other essentials and then made it to the café. After having breakfast he wondered around and then made his way back to the motel. He thought about calling Caith but he realized he did not have a number for her. He lay on the bed and then eventually dozed off.