IX - Gun Point

Gun  Point

We all went back to the control room. Kyla was silent from shock and the Doctor was mumbling words, lost in his thoughts about what alien species would kill in such a barbaric and uncivilized way.

"What's wrong, Kyla?" Sam asked concerned, noticing her dark and sad look.

"Allen's... dead," she announced, he voice shaking.

"What?" Captain Victor said in shock. He grabbed his gun and aimed for the Doctor - making me let out a little scared scream.  "What the Hell did you do, bastard?"

"Now, now. No need for name calling, Captain! I didn't do anything," he claimed.

"I was with them the whole time, Victor," Kyla helped.

He put the gun down on his desk ad sighed heavily.

The Doctor went into a long explanation that there's a dangerous intruder on board and that we needed to make a plan to capture said creature. He asked questions about where they've landed, what species they’ve encountered, but nothing seemed to be helping the Doctor understand who or what was on the ship, killing the crew.

Suddenly, we heard a call on the intercom. Victor answered, but before he could talk, a horrible screaming was coming from the speaker.

"Captain!" a feminine voice shouted and the communication cut off.

"That's Brittney!" Kyla pointed out.

"Ok, let's go! Zera, you stay here," the Doctor ordered.

"I'll stay with her," Sam said. "I'm not letting unarmed girl stay here alone with this... thing on the ship. You guys go."

Victor nodded his head towards him and they left.

I was worried that the Doctor left me here alone - well not exactly alone, Sam was here, but I felt alone whenever he wasn't next to me.

I sat down on the captain's seat and closed my eyes. What if something happened to the Doctor? What if I was stuck here in space, 2200 years in the future without him? That idea terrified me, because even if I was stuck here, I'd be alright if he were here with me...

10 minutes past, then 20, then 30. I was going to go look for them, but Sam blocked the door, insisting we stayed here. He tried being charming with me, but I rolled my eyes and told him to bug off.

I looked at the file the Doctor was about to read earlier and my curiosity got the better of me. I made sure Sam was turning his back to me, looking out the window and I discreetly took the file and read it - mostly to distract me from thoughts of the Doctor being dead.

It was some sort of document. There was information on the Daculafry people, about how peaceful they are. The more I read about them, the more I liked them. They never had a war in their history and they all lived together in one big village. I turned to the second page and the first thing I saw was the big red title: Extermination. My blood started to boil as I read the American government’s plans. There were going to place on their planet a machine that will make a sound at a deadly frequency, killing the people of the planet so they can take it over and build factories to make weapons and booms.

My hands were now shaking, knowing I was standing in the room with someone who was going o help wipe out a race for such a superficial and selfish reason. I felt like I was in danger and not because of the creature on the ship.

I silently placed the file back on the controllers. Sam was still busy looking out the window, admiring the stars. I gathered all he courage I had left and picked out Captain Victor's gun that he left behind. It was small hand gun, but it felt like a thousand pounds in my hands.

The communication rang, making me jump. Sam turned around, but the controllers were too high to let him see the gun on my lap. I answered and had never felt so relieved to hear the Doctor's voice on the speaker.

"Zera? You there?" he asked.

"Yes, Doctor, I'm here. Are you ok?"

"Yes."

"What happened?" I screeched.

"Look, grab the phone, I need to speak to you alone," he said.

I picked up the phone so the speaker turned off and Sam couldn't hear a thing the Doctor was saying.

"Ok, the speaker's off, it's just me and you," I told him, looking over suspiciously at Sam.

"Good, now listen. These Americans are planning to exterm-" he started.

"I know that, don't ask why. Cut to the chase and tell me what killed everyone!" I cut him off.

"It's a Daculafrien stopping them from, well, you know, apparently. She killed everyone else, but she's not our enemy, you are not in danger because of her, but because of Sam. Now, I want you to arm yourself, preferably with a gun, just to scare him and keep him there until I arrive. Got it?"

"I have one already. Is that all?" I asked.

"Yes, it is. Zera?"

"What?"

"Be careful. Craig would kill me if anything happened to you."

I couldn't help but giggle. In fact, it would be pretty bad... He didn't even know I ran off with the Doctor in the first place.

"You too, Doctor. See you soon," and I hung up.

"So what's going on?" Sam asked.

"Oh, hum..." I started, I was a terrible liar. "He said to stay put, that he has the situation under control and they are coming back," I fake smiled.

He sighed and went for the door.

"Thank God, I'll go find them."

"He said to stay put," I ordered.

"Look, he's not my captain, girly," he shrugged. He was about to open the door when I had no choice.

I pointed the gun up at him.

"He said to stay put," I replied, menacingly, but I was screaming on the inside.

He looked surprised but not scared one bit.

"Oh, so I guess you know. That's what you were talking about on the phone, right? You some sort of peace activist?" he asked, seeming bored.

He quietly took his own gun out and pointed it at me.

"You shoot, I shoot and we both go down."

 My heart rate was through the roof, he pressed the button and the door was open. He was backing away slowly down the hall and I started to panic. I told the Doctor I'd keep him in this room...

Everything happened at 100 kilometers per hour. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor, my hands on the left side of my waist. I could feel the blood flowing and my head getting dizzy. The last thing I remembered seeing was those green eyes and then all went black.