XXX - The Lights Going Out

10 VOTES FOR THE ALTERNATIVE ENDING!!!

I would just like to say a big thank you to all of you who have read my story, vote and comment! I absolutel y loved writing this, it brought me so much joy and I am so so happy to have discovered Doctor Who at the beginning of the year or else I wouldn't have wrote this! I love you all and I will truly miss posting "The Doctor's Mistress"! I am not afraid to say that I am proud of what I have wrote and Zera Roberts is my favorite character that I have writen :D

But it's not over yet! 10 votes and I will post and alternative ending for you guys :)

The Lights Going Out

He walked out of the TARDIS, ready for another day with his beautiful Zera.

He wanted to be there as often as possible near the end. It hurt him so much to think about never seeing her again, but when he was with her, he felt so… normal, like he wasn’t an alien from Gallifrey who constantly saved the universe. He felt like a regular block with her and, to his surprise, he liked that.

I knocked on the front door. Nothing. He took out the sonic and entered. It was empty...

His hearts sank. She was gone.… Not already! The last time he saw her was 2 weeks ago from that day. He thought he still had some time…

He hurried back into the TARDIS. A moment later, he was in front of the old apartment building she lived in before. With his sonic, he made his way to her old apartment and knocked on the door.

Jess opened, looking quite sad.

“Doctor,” she nodded.

“When was it?” he asked.

“It was Monday… Around noon,” she answered, knowing exactly what he was talking about since Zera was the only thing that made the two to ever talk to each other.

“Thank you.… And I’m sorry,” he said sadly then hurried back down to his TARDIS.

He felt like he was in such a hurry, though he had all the time in the world. He had promised to be there. No matter how much it would kill him inside, he wasn’t going to miss this for the world.

The TARDIS materialized in front of the hospital. It was 11:30AM. He ran as fast as he could inside and found Rory at the front desk. He seemed to be waiting there for him.

Though he was never very close to Rory because he was the only one who would always call him out when he thought something he was doing was wrong, he was so happy to see him. He would need an old friend.

“Hey, Doctor,” he smiled apologetically. “This way.”

He followed him down many halls until he arrived to Zera’s room where she had been brought to after collapsing in Jess’s kitchen earlier that day. Craig, Sophie, Alfie and Jess were all there, gathered around Zera’s bed. He was even surprised to see Jack had come though never being a big part in Zera’s life.

Zera herself was barely awake and tears were rolling down her cheeks. She knew the time had come. When she saw the Doctor in the door way, she gave him a weak smile and he returned it as a tear of his own over flowed from his eyes.

“Thank you, Rory,” he said and he left to wait in the hall, leaving them in peace.

The Doctor walked over to Zera as nobody said anything. He took Zera’s hand in his and squeezed it, but she couldn’t feel a thing, her body was numb.

“Doctor…” she spoke softly. “I don’t want to go.”

“I don’t want you to either…” he replied. He felt such a pain in his chest.

She was only 30 years old. Only 30! It was so unfair and him, who had all time and space, couldn’t do anything to save her.…

He leaned over her and softly kissed her on the forehand.

“I love you, Zera…”

“I love you too,” she shocked a little.

He brought his lips an inch away from her ear and whispered something so quietly that she could be the only person to have heard.

“You have a beautiful name…” she smiled and closed her eyes.

And she flat lined. She was gone. With a smile still on her lips, she fell into an endless sleep. The Doctor gave her one more soft kiss. He stood up straight and – not able to face the people around him, feeling so much pressure to say something comforting, but having nothing to say – he hurried out of the room.

He past in front of Rory, ignoring him and practically ran down the hall.

“Doctor, wait!” Rory called.

But he didn’t hear him. He had a terrible buzzing noise stuck in his head that just made him move forward. His hearts were broken. The last time he felt so destroyed over losing somebody was when… he lost Rose…

Why did he always have to lose everyone he loved? He already knew how River would go…

He slammed the TARDIS door with anger, but a second later, he was leaning against the door, sobbing hysterically. It was over. He would never see Zera again, never hear her laugh, kiss her lips, hold her tight. Never look into those TARDIS blue eyes of hers that made him crazy for her. 

The day Zera told him he loved her when he showed up at the art gallery, he realized he loved that girl. He had almost said it, but didn’t. He waited until her 25th birthday because that was night Zera told him he had said it.

Their love was complicated, but very true. Very real.

---------------------------------------

“So, how’s the mistress,” River asked bitterly as he took her back to the prison after saving the Requilius people from the asteroid.

“Gone,” he replies casually.

“Oh, really? Her time came? You don’t seem too sad about it,” she pointed out.

“I never really loved her, sweetie, you know that. I only pretended for her,” he answered and smiled to River who smiled back.

“I thought you did.… If she wasn’t dying, I was scared I might lose you to her,” she admitted.

“Of course not,” he stated as if what she was saying was absurd.

They shared a kiss goodbye and she left.

But River Song forgot rule #1. The most important rule you should always keep in mind when talking to the man in the cool bow tie.

The Doctor lies.

10 VOTES FOR ALTERNATIVE ENDING!!!

Yeah... sad ending, I know. But you know that the Doctor and Zera could never really be together. If she wasn't going to die, well, she would just keep waiting around for him to pop up every now and then and that wouldn't have been a good ending, right.

Again a big thank you to all of you :D