VII - Not What It Looks Like

• Dedicated to Karen Gillan for being a badass caompagnion! You will be missed when you leave :

Not What It Looks Like

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Zera! Happy birthday to you!" they sang as the placed the cake in front of me and I blew out the candles.

Everyone - my adoptive parents, my little brother, Jessica and Mark, a French exchange student who I've became friends with when he first arrived a few months ago - cheered.

"What did you wish for?" Mark said with a little devilish smirk. "Me?"

"I already have you," I pointed out to him.

I giggled and rolled my eyes. I started cutting the cake and giving everyone a piece. Mark was also my boyfriend. I didn't really noticed that he liked me, because I was stuck in my little bubble, then he told me he liked me and at least he wasn't a jerk like Jacob so I gave him a chance. So far it's been fun, sometimes he'd sneak through my window at night to see me, but we never went farther than snogging.

Once everyone was done eating, he helped Craig clear the table. Dad - as I call Craig in my mind - liked Mark a lot. He thought he was a nice proper young man which kind of bothered me. A boyfriend that a dad approves is kind of boring. I was looking for something more exciting, but Mark was going back to France soon since we were reaching the end of the year, so no use breaking up, it was going to happen anyways.

Later that night, once Jessica and Mark had left, I went up to my room. Mark told me he'd be back later in the night.

I took my clothes off to put on my pyjamas, but while I was standing in my underwear, that bloody engine started roaring. I rolled my eyes. My blood was boiling with anger as the blue box appeared in the middle of my bed room. I then realized I was still in my bra and panties, so I hurried to grab my bed spread and wrapped it around my body.

The door opened and the Doctor poked out his head with the smile I remembered all too well.

"Hello, Zera! Happy birthday," he said and walked out the TARDIS.

"Go to Hell," I simply replied, ready to face him.

"What?... Oh! This must be the day I apologize from sneaking out of your window!" he suddenly realized. "Sorry, I've seen a slightly older version of you already. This is kinda like when you met me," he grinned.

"Whatever. I get it, time is complicated. Now please leave!" I said with annoyance.

"I don't think so! Last time, you were begging me to stay now you're kicking me out? Oh, and all the pictures you drew are gone!" he noticed.

"Yes, I didn't feel like see your face anymore. Same goes for now," I spat.

"Zera, don't be so cruel, now. Please let me explain-" the Doctor started.

"Shut up, I don't need your excuses, you just left! Like that, without even a goodbye, I was waiting for you and you never came. You took that silly box of yours and ran off! Fuck you and your stupid bowtie! That's all I have to say to you! Fuck you!"

He looked at me, looking absolutely insulted.

"My TARDIS is NOT silly and bowties are cool!" he stated, rearranging his bowtie.

"That's really all you have to say?" I said, looking at him in disbelief. "God, you are..." I started, but couldn't find the right word.

I sighed, looking at him completely disappointed.

"Ok, that's not all I have to say, Zera. Can I explain to you what happened?" he asked politely.

"Sure," I simply replied.