Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Helena’s P.O.V.

“Do you have the file?” Moretta asked.

                “Yeah.” Slowly, I pulled the crumpled papers out of my back pocket, placing them on the table. Kale had read them out loud to me at least one thousand times. He had grabbed them when we escaped. Then, we hadn’t realized they were so important. The papers crinkled, as Moretta spread them over the table.

                “This information is the key to getting Slash out.” she said calmly.

I turned in Kanine’s direction, listening intently.

                “What is it then?”

                “Every experiment has been provided with a bracelet, like so,” I heard more crinkling, as Moretta raised the picture.

                “They prevented all escape by electric shock. But, they’ve been reprogrammed.”

                “How?”

                “Now, the Scientists are using them to control the creatures. If they resist-“

                “They get an electric shock strong enough to turn their insides to taco meat.” Kale piped up.

Kanine fell silent, tapping her claws on the table. She was scared…

                “How do we remove them?”

                “Counteract the signal… Or… remove it entirely. Both ways are extremely risky.” Moretta chose her next words carefully.

                “We’ve seen… Accidents.”

To prove her point, I held up my right arm. Around the wrist, was a round scar. I had been the first to remove my bracelet… I would carry that mark forever.  Kale, Moretta, and Lynx all had them too.

                “So… Why do they have the bracelets in the first place?”

                “What are you? Stupid?” I snarled. “The Scientists want to massacre the human race with their “creations”, including your brother. They’ll be mindless slaves to the cause, so the Scientists can take over.”

                “Shut up.” Kanine growled.

                “Don’t be so ignorant, protecting Slash from the insults of a blind chick won’t help him.”

                “Well, how’s a blind chick supposed to help in the first place?!” she yelled.

                “Come on Kanine, we fought and I would’ve won too!” There was a loud screech, as Kanine stood.

                “You wanna try again? Try me!”

I lunged to my feet, my eyes tingling. Now, I could see Kanine in shades of grey. Red angry slashes buzzed around her head. She morphed into her wolf form, ready to attack.

                “SHUT UP!” Moretta screamed, throwing herself between us. Kanine snarled, both at me and at Moretta, hairs on the back of her neck bristling. I knew her all too well; she wasn’t going to give up or back down; she’s just trying to prove her strength.

            “Kanine!” Moretta growled, glaring at her.

            “Oh come on! Let Kanine make a failure of herself again!” I scoffed, taunting Kanine. The red slashes grew, practically consuming her body to make her silhouette completely red, full of rage and fury.

She let out a monstrous howl as she lunged, Moretta ducking under her. Her claws nicked my arm as I moved to the side, avoiding her lethal attacks. Quickly, she swung back around, snarling viciously like a wild animal; which arguably, she is one.

I heard the delicate sound of her feathers ruffling; her snarl becoming even more menacing, if that was possible. She was about to pounce when Moretta jumped first, tackling Kanine and pinning her head on the ground with a firm grip. Kanine squirmed and growled, her wings fluttering crazily underneath Moretta.

“KNOCK IT OFF!” she hissed, jabbing her knee into Kanine’s sensitive stomach. Kanine released a whimper, her claws retracting, her wings resting close to her body. My muscles slowly relaxed and the silhouette faded, returning my vision to continuous blackness.

I heard Kanine take deep breaths as she remained under Moretta’s weight. There was a slight shuffling as, I’m guessing, Kanine had shifted back and had shoved Moretta off. There were a few moments of silence before I heard furious stomping and the loud slam of the door.