Chapter 4

Slash's POV  

Brain pumping against my skull, heart aching, stomach churning, I woke back in my cell on the uncomfortable, dusty bunk. With my eyes, I looked around; it was sometime late at night said the sky through the barred window.

I looked down and saw Kanine, in her wolf form, resting on my stomach and chest. I reached up to pet the top of her head. She slowly opened her eyes, blinking a few times sleepily before looking over at me. For the first time in years, I saw her eyes light up as she wagged her tail. She jumped off me, landing on the floor and quickly changed into her human figure.

            “Slash!” she actually squealed as she hugged me tightly. I flinched at the pain that arose in my chest when she hugged me. She noticed my reaction and quickly released me, sitting on the edge of the bed.

I sat up and leaned myself against the wall, now smiling and holding my arms out. Her smile reappeared as she hugged me a little gentler than before. For the first time in my life, I actually saw her crying. We both have learned to never cry in this place. All it does is show the other experiments that you’re weak and it gives the Scientist something to take notes about. I stroked her long, dark hair as she cried into my shoulder.

            “I’m ok, everything is fine.” I whispered to her. She just hugged me tighter, burying her face deeper into my shoulder. I hugged back, matching her grip.

            “Listen to me, there is no way this place is going to tear us apart. No way in hell.” I soothed, “if you die, I follow. You hear me?” she murmured in response, my white shirt quickly becoming tear stained, but I didn’t mind.

At some point during the night, Kanine morphed back into her wolf form and wrapped herself beneath my head while I was too weak to morph. Her soft, warm fur comforted my aching head; her paw was resting protectively over my chest, hugging me some-what like a teddy bear.

~*~

Next morning we awoke to footsteps walking down the aisle, stopping in front of our cell. Kanine was up and glaring at them with a murderous look in her eyes; her paw holding me tighter, her ears back and her wings ruffled and spread, making her look menacing. They took one glance at her and jotted down notes as if their lives depended on it. The man I remembered wearing black from the field yesterday was with them, meaning one thing; they were here for either training or testing.

As soon as he advanced towards us, Kanine released a menacing snarl, baring her teeth viciously, and spreading her wings even wider, making her look frightening and unstoppable.

The Trainer took a step back but no emotion showed on his face. He turned towards the Scientists, wondering how to calm her but they were too busy writing down “observations”. I felt Kanine flick out her dangerously sharp claws, flashing them off at the tall man. Some were digging into my chest but when she felt me wince, she reposition her paw and whimpered softly enough so that only I could hear, apologizing.

“Will you Think Tanks zap the freakin’ mutt!” the Trainer barked at the Scientists. One of them advanced forward, holding out an electrifying stun gun. Kanine stood up, her large body towering over me. She leapt forward, jumping on the man, the stun gun flying from his grip and across the room.

Her paws pressed down onto his chest, the claws drawing blood. She lowered her head so that it was inches from the man, snarling directly in his face with a mouthful of large, white, carnivorous teeth. I chuckled quietly to myself when I noticed the Scientist in Kanine’s grip faint with fear and the other two cower on the other side of the bars.

“When you want something done right, you do it yourself.” I heard the Trainer mumble to himself. He jumped towards the stun gun, glaring at me who lay defenseless on the bunk. Kanine looked up from the unconscious body to eye the Trainer.

 As he slowly glided along the wall, Kanine followed, growling, in a face off. When the Trainer got close enough, he jumped towards me without any time for me to react. He grabbed me into a choke hold, pointing the stun gun at the side of my head.

For a quick second, Kanine’s eyes grew wide before becoming hateful and fierce. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a smirk come across the Trainer’s face, mocking Kanine as if she was weak and I was some trash to be rid of.

 “Go with the nice Scientist and maybe I won’t fry your brother’s brains here.” The Trainer smirked at Kanine, a gleam of temptation in his eyes.

“Be careful with it, Hunter. It’s still pretty injur-“

“Shut up!" Hunter snapped "Come on, dog, I know you don’t want to see your brother die, again.” He taunted.

 Kanine looked at me, her eyes becoming soft as her muscles relaxed and her wings dropped to her sides. Her fur began to disappear and she became much smaller as she changed to her little human form, looking defenseless and sad.

“Good, dog.” The man smiled, nodding for the Scientist to grab her. They hesitated, hurrying into the cell and grabbing each of her arms. She dropped to her knees as they dragged her out, staring at me as they did so.

As soon as they were gone, I felt a blow to the side of my head. The bastard knocked me upside the head with the freaking barrel of the stun gun. I felt myself drop to the floor as everything around me faded.