Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Kanine's P.O.V.

I gasped, inhaling so much ash and smoke. Something heavy was pressed against my back. My lungs were burning and itching, and everything was hazy. What the hell did Helena do? I crawled out from under the piece of roof that had collapsed on me, trying to stretch my wings out.

I realized the restraints had broken off and lay in pieces a few feet away under a couple layers of ash. What remained of the old apartment was being consumed in flames, sending thick columns of black smoke into the air.

"Helena!" I tried to growl but it came out in coughs. I was going to destroy her! I glanced around; the smoke was too thick to see anything. I took a few steps forward only to trip over something and land in a heap of ash.

I crawled forward, going through a coughing fit. In the distance, I heard yelling. I flicked my claws out, unaware what might be ahead. I stumbled through the rubble and ashes, making the attempt to growl but it just irritated my throat more. I hobbled through the smoke and almost right into a fireman. A fireman, a real human.

I quickly pulled my wings in so close they were practically invisible to him and pulled in my claws, trying to seem as normal as a girl who was created in a lab and was just in an explosion can possibly be. Kale and Lynx stared over at me and Moretta spared a glance before turning back to the fireman and trying to pull his attention back to her.

"I'm sorry, sir. We were exploring the abandoned building when smoke suddenly started filling the room. I swear, we don't know what happened." Moretta said, sounding scared and panicked almost. The fireman just continued staring as if studying us.

"Please, you gotta believe us. We were just fooling around." Moretta pleaded. "As you see, my friend's blind. She didn't know who was grabbing her. I'm sure she didn't mean to kick you." I couldn't help snicker but quickly turned it into a cough. Helena heard me cough and glared at me. I would have to turn her to ribbons some other time.

 "Alright, I'm just going to call the paramedics over to check you out. Stay right here" he said, turning towards some blinking red lights through the smoke.

 "Come on!" Moretta hissed, grabbing Lynx's hand and running in the opposite direction. Kale picked up Helena and followed. I shook off my confusion and haziness and ran after them and onto the street.

I took a glance back, staring at the smoke and rubble that used to be the old apartment that I was held prisoner in. I had nowhere else to go, leaving me with the rouges to help me save Slash. No matter how much they put me on edge. 

I followed them into an alley where they stopped to take a breath.

"What the hell happened back there?!" Moretta asked, glaring daggers at all of us except Lynx. Her blonde hair was nearly black from the soot and her face was smothered in it. All of theirs were actually.

"Why don't you ask the blind one?" I coughed, shaking out my wings to rid them of ash. Kale gave me a glare which I replied with a weak snarl.