Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Slash’s POV

I woke up on the floor in my cell, the kid from the arena passed out a few feet away. My head was spinning and my back was sore from where they put the Taser. I slowly sat up and looked around the cell. Kanine wasn’t here, just the kid. Sorely, I got up and stumbled towards the boy. He started waking up as I dragged him up from his the front of his shirt and shoving him against the wall.

            “What did you do to my sister?” I hissed, glaring at the half conscious boy.

            “Nothing, now back off before I beat you to a pulp.” He said, trying to push me away. I threw him to the ground and grabbed him by the neck.

            “Where is she?” I yelled through clenched teeth.

            “I don’t know!” he said, grabbing my wrist and throwing me over his head and into the wall. I glared at him as he sat up, rubbing his throat. I leaned back against the wall and slowly slid down it. He stared at me as he crawled to the opposite wall, leaning his shoulder and head against it.

            “What are you even doing in here?” I asked

            “Oh, you know. I was just in the neighborhood and wanted to stop by and say hey.” He said sarcastically. “Why do you think I’m here? A freaking test, duh!”

            “Yeah, testing if I want to commit suicide.” I mumbled.

            “What was that?” he asked, teeth clenched.

            “Oh nothing, just saying how much I love your all rainbow and sunshine attitude.”

            “Yeah, well rooming with you ain’t much of a picnic for me, neither.” He gave an artificial smile. I rolled my eyes and looked the other way, pretending to be occupied by something else.

            “So, what’s your name?” he asked.

            “Slash, you?”

            “Dylan. How long have you and your sister been here?” he glanced up in my direction.

            “Sixteen years.” I sighed. Yeah, that’s right. Sixteen years of pain, testing, torture, Scientists, experiments, everything. I glanced up at Dylan. His eyes were huge and his face had disbelief written all over it.

            “Sixteen freakin’ years? Wow, my brother, sister, and I have only been here for about two weeks.”  This was one of the luckier human hybrids in this place. Most of his life had been spent outside of this place while Kanine’s and mine have spent almost our entire life in.

            “Siblings?” I asked.

            “Shade, my older brother, seventeen and Scarla, younger sister, only six.” He sighed, looking away. I felt my heart jump into my throat. The sociopaths take six-year-olds? I was scratching to rip the Scientists to shreds. They’ve done a lot of sick things in their messed up little lives but six-year-olds? That’s just not right, man.

            “You’re right, it ain’t right.” Dylan shook his head. I looked up at him, confused.

            “They give us weird, hurting pills and injections that change us. I can now, every once in a while, hear people’s thoughts. Trust me, I don’t want to, just things I don’t think of pop into my head and it’s irritating. It’s like reading someone’s freaking diary!” he groaned. Got to be careful about what I think when I’m around this guy.