Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Kanine’s POV

My wrist was throbbing and some blood trickled down my arm where they had locked the bracelet onto me. My vision was blurred and I could hear a deep, distant voice. I grabbed onto something nearby and used it to help get up, my legs feeling like Jell-O.

I felt something grab my shoulder and almost swung around to claw it but my legs gave out and I fell back down. The blurry voice came back as something grabbed under my arms, picking me up. It dragged up on something, something dusty and stiff, slightly soft. Was it the bunk? Was I even in my cell?

The blurry voice seemed to be talking slow, repeating things, but I couldn’t make out what it was saying. Suddenly, water was being poured down my throat. The blurriness cleared and sound came afterward.

“Are you ok?”  a soft voice asked. I looked up and sitting on the bunk beside me was a tall boy, maybe a year older than me, not even. He had short, wispy black hair that ended just above his shoulders and covered his forehead.

Just like that guy in the arena, he wore a black uniform and had blood red eyes. Except, instead of fighting me and trying to hit on me, he helped me and gave me water; something I haven’t had in a while.

“Hey, are you ok?” he asked again, his eyes soft and concerned.

“Yeah, wh-where am I… who are you?” I stuttered. An awkward smile appeared on the kid’s face, two large fangs where the canines should be stood out. I had to smile back. Smile, huh, something I’ve never really done.

“My name’s Shade and the Scientist dudes put you in my cell.” He said, helping me sit up. I looked around the cell. Something began tugging at my stomach, something was missing.

“Where’s Slash?” I asked, panicked. I looked around the room but it was just me and Shade.

“Where’s who?” Shade stared at me with a confused expression.

“Where’s Slash, my brother?” I repeated.

“They just threw you in here. I haven’t seen your brother, nor mine for that matter.” He sighed. “He was dragged to the arena but they haven’t brought him back.”

I looked up at him. His brother was that jerk from the arena? Besides the eyes, there really weren’t that many similarities.

“My brother was in the arena too but I was the first to go down.” I said. Shade’s eyes widened as he looked down at me.

“You were there? Is Dylan ok?” he asked, gripping my shoulders. I winced at the pain a little and he loosened his grip.

“He was definitely fine before lights out for me, yeah.” I said, rolling my eyes as I thought of that jerk’s attitude towards me. “If I’m in here he’s probably back at my cell with my brother.” Shade thought about it, considering it. He shrugged and seemed to relax.

“So, how long have you guys been here?” he asked.

“For as long as I can remember. Sixteen years, take it or leave it. You?” I sighed. His eyes grew wide at my response.

“Only about two weeks. Since then, we’ve gotten red eyes and weird abilities.”

“Care to elaborate?” I asked, propping my head in my hand. He smiled, staring down at me.

“Oooh! Shade’s got a cool angel girlfriend!” a little’s girl’s voice teased. I jumped and Shade chuckled, his face turning red.

“Like that. Scarla, not cool.” Shade chuckled.

“Sorry,” a little girl with long, curly black hair appeared in front me. She ran over to Shade and jumped in his arms.

“This is little Scarla. She’s only six.” He sighed. My heart dropped. They’re experimenting on six-year-olds?

“Are you a real angel?” Scarla smiled, flashing fangs like Dylan and Shade.

“As real as I’m going to get, yeah.” I shrugged, partially smiling at the girl. Shade chuckled.

“Can you really fly?” she asked, a sparkle of brown flashed in her red eyes.

“What angel doesn’t fly?” I said, smiling at the little girl. She giggled and shook her head, agreeing.

(Please Comment if you like or dislike the story, have suggestions, or are just downright confused... sorry!)