Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Slash's P.O.V.

My eyes fluttered open, a blinding white light shining in my eyes. Dark shadows walked around me, talking to each other in deep, distant voices. I was so light headed and nauseous. My ankles and wrist were restrained to the steel table. I slightly tugged at them, rattling the chains.

Someone grabbed my chin, turning my head slightly to the left. Another light was shone into my eyes, making my head jerk away. I let out a weak hiss, warning whoever off.

Something was poked into my mouth, pressing my tongue. I bit it and tore it from the figure’s grip, turning my head to the side and spitting it out. I snarled up at the shadow, baring my canines. I was flicked hard between the eyes, like a dog. I growled, but the figure just cackled, being joined by another. My vision slowly came back, the figures turning into Scientists, yeah, like I didn’t already know.

Angry, I spit up at the Scientist, hitting the first guy in the face. His face turned red as he swung down, the back of his hand hitting me across the face. I barked up at him as the other Scientists grabbed his wrists and pulled him away, not wanting to mess up the experiment.

I grinned at him, taunting him. Why not? There was nothing left to live for anyway, like I’ve mentioned several times before. He tried to rip out of their grip and take another swing but they dragged him out of the room. I chuckled, making the other Scientists stare at me; the expressions concerned and weirded out.

I just laughed more, their faces hilarious and increasing with scared. One guy reached towards my head, probably checking if I felt warm. I bared my teeth and snapped at him, warning him not to touch me. He did anyway, pressing a hand to my forehead. A low growl increased as he did so.

He quickly jerked his hand away and frantically grabbed for a clipboard. I watched him as he glanced from me and back to his board, writing things down as if the world was coming to an end.

“What is it?” another Scientist asked, eagerly trying to look at what the guy was writing.

“Its body heat is on fire! Get me the thermometer.” He pointed towards the counter, the other Scientist running to grab it. She ran to me, poking it into my mouth. I grunted, glaring intensely at her. She picked it out, looking at it. Her eyes widened gasping as she dropped the thermometer.

“How high?” the man asked, still writing notes. The woman seemed to have trouble getting her words out.

“307 degrees,” She choked. The man started coughing, dropping his board.

“H-how is that possible? No being, animal or human, has ever reached that record high!” the man stuttered, looking excited but constipated at the same time.

“Is it… “normal” or is it running a supernaturally high fever?” the women asked.

“It may be both, the mix of foreign, extreme DNA combined with close death and the loss of a partner could be the cause. We should keep it on watch for the next twenty-four hours.” The man rushed his words out. He called in two Scientists who took hold of my metallic gurney and wheeled me out of the room.

The dim lights that hung from small wires from the ceiling seemed blinding. I wanted to pull them out of the ceiling and chuck them at the wall. I found myself growling at the lights, as if they were intentionally hurting me.

I felt the Scientists eyes on me, wondering what the hell was wrong with me, why was this experiment growling at lights. It seemed the farther we traveled, the brighter the lights became but they were the same dim lights that have hung there forever. I felt my canines grow out, from the top and the bottom. My claws flicked out from the tips of my fingers, uselessly trying to scratch at the restraints. What was happening to me?

My core became burning, as if I had swallowed a flame. It quickly spread outwards, through my arms and into the palms of my hands. I cringed as the chains began to burn my flesh, blistering my wrists. The chains felt soggy and weak, as if made of sponge. Enraged and pained, I broke free, growling and howling.

I tackled one of the Scientists, my claws digging into his chest, reddening his blue, doctor-like uniform. The other came up behind me, grabbing me around the neck and prying me off the other. I dug my claws into his arms, snarling and baring my teeth like a rabid animal. The warmth returned to my palms as the man’s skin began to blister. He let out a cry, stumbling backwards, his arms red and steaming. 

“Rogue experiment in Cell Block C! Assistance needed immediately!” the other Scientists yelled into a speaker from behind. I spun around, my wings ruffled and spread, making me feel bigger and more threatening.

I morphed into my wolf figure, snarling as I pounced at the man. My enlarge canines sank into his arm, drawing a substantial amount of blood. A horrible scream escaped his lips, echoing down the corridor. I dug in deeper, breaking the bone, feeling it snap in my grip. The scream grew louder, almost popping my ear drums. The other Scientist jumped on my back, his arms wrapped tightly around my neck but I didn’t release my bite.

I heard heavy footsteps pounding down the hall, becoming closer and closer. I glanced up to see a group of men carrying artillery and wearing heavy protection running towards me. They stopped a few yards away, pointing large guns at me, little red dots appearing on my body.

The Scientists slowly got off my back, backing away and running behind the barrier of guards. I heard the guns click, switching from the safety lock. I released the unconscious Scientist’s arm and snarl up at the guards, blood dripping from my mouth.

One by one, they fire, a small dart being shot through my flesh. Every dart that impacted made me sleepier and more exhausted my legs almost too weak to support me anymore. Slowly, I dropped, my wings drooping to my sides and my eyelids becoming heavier until I was incased in a deep sleep.