Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Kanine's POV

The sudden rush of energy I had received after I had fed still lingered, sending me on edge. I had nowhere to vent this energy, no one to release it on. Within an hour, we had come across another abandoned buidling. It was a little smaller than the first and felt even older. Dust collected on everything, turning every piece of furntiture in the room a ghostly grey.

Beneath some things like tables and chairs, gross, slimy, black moss began to grow and reeked if you got close enough. I was practically begging to just tear them up but Moretta said if I did that, I could send the polins into the air and for all we know it could be toxic so we just threw furntiture with it out back.

The thing we found most useful of the building was its large, empty basement. It was entirely made from wall to wall of cement, keeping sounds in. For a group of kids like us, that was practically all we needed.

Now, I hide in one of the rooms upstairs, sitting back against a corner. I had taken my jacket off to allow my wings to breath. After a while, they were all cramped up, the muscles falling asleep.

Since the incident, I was relieved that Lynx had calmed down a little, talking to me as we searched for shelter. It was mainly a lot of questions about how I was raised, what DNA I had, how did I get the blood-seeking DNA. He seemed intrigued by them, slightly feeling bad in some cases. He mentioned some of his past as well.

He was one of the luckier ones it seemed; being adopted at three-years-old and escaping at the age of eight. I was shocked to hear that there were two other known facilities that linked back to Alcatraz. There was the Pompeii Facility in Italy, where Helena and Kale had escaped from, and the Bermuda Facility off the coast of Florida, dead center in the Bermuda Triangle. Moretta and Lynx had escaped from there.

I guess that explains a lot about why people disappear in the Triangle. They get kidnapped and are either used as bait, food, or turned into experiments themselves. Man, that's even worse than using poor orphan children. Maybe just about even.

I felt as though someone came into the room and I glanced up, seeing nobody. I knew somebody was there I just couldn't see them.

"Yo, Lynx, that you, little man?" I asked, doubt in my voice. When Lynx 'vanished', he wasn't completely invisible. It seemed as if a Lynx-sized space was distorted, not quite matching up with its surroundings but close enough not to notice if you weren't looking for it.

My wings ruffled, the same faint twitchiness emanating in them that I always felt in the arena when another experiment was lurking about, unseen and having the advantage. But with our enhanced hearing, we could usually hear the creature's breathing, but the room was completely silent.

 I knew someone was there, I was positive. I listened hard, glancing around, trying to catch anything unnatural. It just seemed too, quiet, too normal. I sat upright, just continuing to stare into the empty room.