Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Slash’s P.O.V.

My entire body was numb from the tranquilizers shot at me yesterday and my wings were heavy on my back. A muzzle had been strapped around my mouth, preventing me from trying to bite anyone else.

Scientists sat on the other side of the glass wall, taking notes and staring at me intensely as they argued with each other about something. I let my head drop, giving up in fighting anymore. They could do what they want to me, eventually I’ll die too.

A soft, familiar hand was pressed against my cheek. I tilted my head into it, bringing back the memories. Slowly, I opened my eyes; kneeling in front of me was Kanine, smiling softly at me.

“Kanine?” I asked. She seemed so real just kneeling there, but, she was dead. She was now just a figment of my imagination, a hallucination.

“Yeah, bro, it’s me.” Her voice was soft and caring like it always had been.

“I miss you so much. I just can’t-“ my voice caught, tears coming to my eyes. I couldn’t believe she was gone, none of this seemed real; it felt like a terrible nightmare I would never wake up from.

“I’m coming back for you. Just hang in there for a little longer.” Her lip quivered as a tear escaped her eyes. 

“I don’t think I can, Kanine, I just can’t.” I replied, facing the fact I was weak; I couldn’t live alone without her. I was going crazy; seeing my dead sister, laughing at nothing, and walking on the edge.

“No! Don’t say that. I’m going to get you out of here. Stay strong, for me?” she said through clenched teeth, more tears sliding down her cheeks. She stared at me, waiting for me to respond. I nodded weakly, unable to get any words out. She tried to smile, gently brushing away my tears. Why did she feel so real?

Slowly, she began to fade, her touch becoming distant.

“I love you,” I managed to get out as she disappeared. I dropped my head, letting the tears flow out. Why did it have to be her? Why couldn’t I have just protected her like I should’ve?

The door slid open, a Scientist entering my cell. Not taking his eyes off me for a second, he approached. He took hold of my wrist, moving the chain to get to the silver bracelet. He opened it up, revealing a series of wires.

I just kept my head down as he poked around, lighting a spark here and there. A few minutes passed by until he had finished, closing it back up. He pulled a small, circular remote from his pocket, pointing it towards me. He clicked a button, sending a painful shock through my body, causing me to blackout.