Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Narration

Liam and Eric wrapped the cold, bloody experiment in an old, grey blanket and set it on the metal gurney. Their hands shook, rattling the gurney as they walked down the dim hall. They made sure they had their masks on, making sure they were protected for whatever reason.

“Liam, are we sure the thing’s dead?” Eric asked, staring down at the lightly bloodied blanket, wondering what happened to the poor girl.

“Listen Eric, I know you’re new at this but it’s dead. No pulse was picked up.” Liam chuckled in response, shaking his head at how silly Eric was being.

“What happened to her?” Eric asked, still pushing the gurney.

It. It’s an experiment, not a human, not a girl. We tried skipping ahead and did several tests at once. Long story short, it was killed by another experiment in the middle of transformation.” Liam replied, his voice almost mechanical. The two men made their way down the hall and out into the cool night.

The moon was full and high above their heads, casting shadows and illuminating the silver mist that lingered at their feet and over the ocean. They rolled the gurney to the edge and together, picked the body up and threw it over the cliff, watching it disappear into the fog below.

They waited and waited, expecting to hear the splash but it never came. They peered down, their eyes widening as the mist cleared. The grey blanket that contained the experiment was now floating, empty, on the water’s surface.

“It probably just unwrapped and landed in the rocks.” Liam said, his voice sounded unsure and scared.

“We wrapped it pretty tight.” Eric’s voice came out high, frightened. He backed away from the edge, terrified and ran back into Alcatraz, Liam not far behind.