Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Slash's P.O.V.

Screams echoed through the building, except for once, it wasn’t horrendous screams that came from monsters and Experiments, they were from the Scientists.

I held Kanine close to me in my arms, her head buried in my shoulder and her body shaking. Her tears dampened my uniform as they glided down my chest. I could’ve sworn she murmured something but it was drowned out by the sound of boots beating against the tile floor. I glanced up and saw someone sprinting down the corridor towards us, but it wasn’t a Scientist.

            “What the—“ a girl halted to a stop several feet in front of me, her eyebrows knitted together in a look of confusion as she looked at me and Kanine with cat-like golden eyes. Two pointed ears grew from her golden blonde hair on the top of her head, and she looked familiar from somewhere but I couldn’t place my finger on it.

            “Kanine? What happened?!” She asked frantically, looking from Kanine to me. “Where’s Helena and Kale?”

            “H-Helena’s dead, Kale’s gone,” Kanine whimpered, her voice muffled from her face being buried into me. The cat-girl’s eye grew wide, her jaw hanging down. Kanine squirmed in my grip and I carefully put her on her feet. She turned around to face the girl with her eyes open, looking directly into the cat-girl’s.

Her eyes grew wide as she stared at Kanine with a look of horror and shock, even disgust. She looked as if she was trying to say something but couldn’t force anything out as her eyes just stared into Kanine’s.

In the background, the sound of havoc was screaming in the air, the alarms blazing, heavy objects crashing to the ground, the building still rumbling in after shock.

            “Where’s Lynx?” Kanine asked, a bit of worry rising in her voice. The girl just gawked for a moment more, as if still in shock from taking in what had happened. “Moretta, where’s Lynx?” she repeated, snapping cat-girl back into reality.

            “When the doors to the cages didn’t open, we figured Helena and Kale had gotten preoccupied with another problem and I sent Lynx up to the control tower,” Moretta stumbled with her words. As if they were the magic words, the hallway was illuminated in red, the rumbling becoming more hazardous.

Monstrous roars, snarls, calls, screams, yells, and screeches echoed through the entire facility. Moretta was able to force as weak grin as she let out a small sigh of relief; Lynx must’ve gotten to the control tower and hit the button.

            “Come on, Lynx is going to meet us at the shore where we docked. We need to get out of here before this whole place collapses on us.” Moretta yelled with a sense of urgency, sprinting back down the corridor with Kanine and I right behind her. Behind us, the ceiling began crumbling, coming apart as the walls collapsed inward.

Ahead of us, tinted morning light shined in through a large hole in the wall, Experiments already darting out it and towards freedom. Quickly, the three of us jumped through the opening, hearing a small explosion from behind us and the rest of the Alcatraz Facility collapsed, become barely anything but piles of rubble and ruins.